Data Transfer By Hdmi Cable

Julian2

I have heaps of large files (movies, TV series etc)that I want to move from my desk top PC to my new Laptop.

I'm currently doing it with an external HD but it's a pain in the ass and doesn't always work.

What's the best way to connect the two directly? HDMI cable?

You say the external HD is a pain. I've used an external USB2 HD for doing this regularly, not for huge amounts but certainly for folders of around 50Gb in size. It takes a few tens of minutes using a USB2 HD on the writing side but is usually a bit quicker when reading them and copying onto the desktop. Good enough for me and never an issue. A big fast USB Flash drive might help but only really available up to about 32Gb. Possibly Gigabit networking, don't know what the throughput might be for that but 100Mb is too slow for sure.

Here's what I do J2: Assuming you're running windows --> Connect both to a router or hub (you probably already have one, if not go pick up a linksys wireless/cable router -- it'll come in handy for years). On the PC, create a folder that has all the material you want copied --> and 'share' it, so that the laptop can see it when both are on the network. Then just copy that folder over to the laptop.

Once you've done that, can also 'share' the folder on the laptop and use a program like synctoy. This means you can add files to either location (the laptop or the PC), then run synctoy and it will make sure both are up to date without having to re-copy everything or having to manually pick new files.

I run this with a directory on PC, laptop, and netbook that contains PICs, video, music, and a document archive -- so all machines have everything.

You can also share media over the network between Mac and Windows - I do that too. But no synctoy, all manual copying.

dave32

Why use LAN cable if you have a wireless router just transfer via wireless.

You use a LAN cable because it is up to an order of magnitude faster. Wireless is what, 56 to 108 mbit, and there is much more overhead in the protocol. A LAN is 100 mbit if you have old equipment (old PC, old Router, most likely most people have NOT bought gigabit routers as yet), and 1000 mbit, if you have gigabit LAN.

Do a simple test, even if you have old equipment, transfer a large movie (700 mbytes or larger) from PC to PC using a wireless setup, and time it. Now, LAN up (pun intended), using a LAN cable connect to a router (as I said, it is most like a 100 mbit LAN), time it. I guarantee it will be a lot faster, now multiply that by the amount of files you want to transfer.

Another poster mentioned firewire, never tried it except for DV from a comcorder, not sure it supports file to file transfer, but even if it did, most new windowslaptops and desktops today, no longer have firewire ports. I cannot speak for Apple, but I believe firewire was initialy an Apple spec, so they may still retain it. I don't know why, it was a good spec. Maybe because most of the HD camcorders now transfer via USB. Before, all the non-HD camcorders (I know Sony & Panasonic for sure all used firewire)for their most of their non-HD digital camcorders as I owned quite a few of them.

Manao

I agree that going Hardwired LAN is faster, but as the OP points out he has plenty of time and not everyone is like you and I and have a few Cat 5 or Cat 6 LAN Cables lying around. Wireless option was use existing hardware without having to hunt down a LAN Cable, the OP does not live in the city but out in the sticks.

IEEE-802.11n on 40 MHz bandwidth transfer rate is up to 150 Mbit/s

You are correct Firewire was introduced by Apple but I have had Firewire ports on Windoze PC's and Laptops as well.

USB1 1.5 then 12Mbits/s

Firewire 400Mbits/s

USB2 480 MBits/s

Firewire 800 800MBits/s

USB3 upto 5Gbits/s

Thunderbolt upto 5.8Gbits/s but also possibly 10Gbits/s

Thunderbolt is actually an Intel spec and will likely appear on more devices in time.

Speeds are highly variable and need some very specific test conditions to achieve and/or are theoretical.

Archived