Data Transfer By Hdmi Cable

Julian2

Manao

I agree that going Hardwired LAN is faster, but as the OP points out he has plenty of time and not everyone is like you and I and have a few Cat 5 or Cat 6 LAN Cables lying around. Wireless option was use existing hardware without having to hunt down a LAN Cable, the OP does not live in the city but out in the sticks.

IEEE-802.11n on 40 MHz bandwidth transfer rate is up to 150 Mbit/s

You are correct Firewire was introduced by Apple but I have had Firewire ports on Windoze PC's and Laptops as well.

My windows PC (circa 5 years old and 3 years old) also have them. But..., go look at the new ones, most do NOT. High end i7 laptops (ASUS, Acers, HP's) don't, their old ones did (I owned them all). Look at the new high end motherboards for desktops, very few still include firewire. Again, don't know why, firewire is a good transfer mechanism, and most of us (at least, I do) have legacy equipment that use firewire.

On the wireless, looking at a simple "G" spec, 56 mbits, match that against a 100 mbit LAN. The LAN spec is approximately twice as fast, but if you measure transfer as I mentioned earlier, by time, on one large file, it's almost 4x faster. Multiple small files are even slower with most of the wireless protocol.

As you say, most rural folds don't have LAN cables hanging around, so if he has a lot of time, I agree with you, keep it simple and don't change anything.

I migrated to full gigabit network at my house back in US, simply because I move and backup a lot of stuff across multiple PC's as well as running media boxes feeding my TV avi's, mp4's, mkv's, and flv's that I collect either from PC or NAS on my home network. My house in Phitsanulok, is not as complex using LAN only when I want to stream movies, as wireless makes most of the media boxes stutter a bit in my experience.

Anyway, was just trying to help.

Thanks again guys.

My laptop and PC, both of which I bought this year seem to lack Firewire ports.

Chiang Rai is well supplied with IT places, we always had Technocom who were more than willing to order in anything they never carried and with the new Central Plaza Mall we have an amazing section of computer supplies outlets including Banana IT and Power IT which are very large stores.

(It also has a Top supermarket that sells Arnott's biscuits and frozen boil in the bag kippers but that's another story).

So it's knowing what to get that is usually the problem rather than being able to get it.

I think I'll go with the wireless option, I have a network set up so I'll play with that.

Using the wireless modem to transfer files between computers is new to me and would like to know a little more.

Scenario:

I've got a desktop PC and a Laptop PC. Both of these can access the wireless modem for the purposes of getting into the internet.

My question is how do I transfer files between them?

Do I need special software and if so what?

Do I need to change settings on both PC's etc.

Any help would be appreciated or if you can direct me to the subject on the internet I can go and read that. I did search the internet but I'm afraid I'm as confused as ever.

Thanks.

Thanks very much for a very swift reply.

Lots to read there.

Your help is appreciated.

It's a nice guideline. If at least one of your systems is Windows 7, read carefully. Windows 7 introduced a thing called 'homegroups', and it changed the way you set up file sharing. W7 to W7 is pretty straight forward. But XP or Vista to W7 is not as straight forward, read this and other documentation carefully. It works nicely but the initial setup can be confusing.

It's a nice guideline. If at least one of your systems is Windows 7, read carefully. Windows 7 introduced a thing called 'homegroups', and it changed the way you set up file sharing. W7 to W7 is pretty straight forward. But XP or Vista to W7 is not as straight forward, read this and other documentation carefully. It works nicely but the initial setup can be confusing.

I'm afraid it will be Windows 7 (being the Main PC) to XP being the laptop.

Will read all the documentation as suggested and see how I get on.

dave32

Why use LAN cable if you have a wireless router just transfer via wireless.

No problem with wireless. Keep in mind also I'm strictly amateur and not of an IT bent. Desktop PC is old and runs XP, no wireless - that one is cabled in. I've got an external hard drive hooked up to the PC (and printer), share those with laptop and netbook. First time I dragged everything over on the laptop I cabled it, but that was the one and only time. TV and PS3 connected to router via cables also. Laptop, netbook = wireless (oh, iphone too).

Have had the same linksys router since 07, it doesn't have the wireless N ultra high speed whatever, but it works great. It's ran 24/7 for four years straight and I've had to power it off (to reset) only a handful of times.

Babbling. Wireless is fine.

Oh yeah, did have to do some tinkering with the settings when setting up shared directories between the three machines, can't even remember now -- but I think i had to duplicate user accounts/passwsords on all 3. Whatever it was, was able to do it fairly quick and have kept all 3 synced since (well, the netbook has a 'lite' version of the shared directory).

Google is your friend. Sometimes. :)

Forgot one thing. Microsoft has a free tool, whatever, called "synctoy", which could be used to move folders over to another PC, but also maintain folders in sync afterwards by several different methods.

I have used it to synchonize massive jpg/raw photofiles, some as large as 15,000 plus entries. Does a nice job laying down the first copy, and then synchronizing them dependent on what rules I give it for synchronization.

People might find it handy.

Archived