Thai 360 Several Years Back

keith doug

Hiya was thinking of this site several years back and some of the things that

have happened since...

anyone remember the " Bernard Trink " column in that news paper.. ware he reviewed

the bars and night places he had been to...

anyone remember "Sarasin"( forgive spelling) fantastic posts on this very site and the

gogos he had been to .. his favourite seemd to be goldfingers in patpong...

And then there was the original Thermai before the new one opened...

gosh how time flys ,

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hiya was thinking of this site several years back and some of the things that have happened since...anyone remember the " Bernard Trink " column in that news paper..ware he reviewed the bars and night places he had been to...

Yep, remember it well, used to read it every week.

anyone remember "Sarasin"( forgive spelling) fantastic posts on this very site and the gogos he had been to..his favourite seemd to be goldfingers in patpong...

Goldfingers is one of my fav bars but that's got nothing to do with its ability as a gogo bar!

Aaaah, memories!

Horny Toad and his great review of the MPs ... SungMak and his reviews of the BJ bars ... Friday gatherings at Woodstock ...

:beer:

wow what memories.... re goldfingers alas,, times have changed for me and havnt been n goldfingers

for a long time,,, it was really a meeting place.. with fine cigars added,

Hiya was thinking of this site several years back and some of the things that

have happened since...

anyone remember the " Bernard Trink " column in that news paper.. ware he reviewed

the bars and night places he had been to...

anyone remember "Sarasin"( forgive spelling) fantastic posts on this very site and the

gosh how time flys ,

When I first joined this site was called NanaPlaza.com

wow what memories.... re goldfingers alas,, times have changed for me and havnt been n goldfingers for a long time, it was really a meeting place.. with fine cigars added,

It still is a meeting place and fine cigars are still smoked there, however if Randy were to leave I think it would close fairly quickly or would have to change to survive. I always go in a few times every trip. :up::up:

...<snipped>...anyone remember the " Bernard Trink...anyone remember

And then there was the original Thermai

"Sarasin" fantastic posts on this very site and the

....gosh how time flys

Yep, Trink and his bar review. But wasn't 'Thermi' spelled Therme and long before the Japanese invaded the place!!

Sarasin, who took the name from Thanon Sarasin, as it's adjacent to where he use to reside by Lumpini Park

He also used the name Ruam Rudi, and others for a while...and it was also at a restaurant on RuamRudi

that Khun Sanuk held his engagement/pre-wedding party. I was there...

Sarasin was also a big fan of Nana Plaza...and always carried lots of toys to shock and entertain the gals

as well as ChupaChupa's for them.

Then there was The Warbler on Soi-4. Friday meeting (and buffet) with guys who posted on Nanaplaza. Sarasin was usually

there as was MagicMan, LongGun, Harry Seaman and a host of other names I've long since forgotten. Of course there was also

the owner Santos (who sold interest in the place as well as his NanaPlaza Titty Twister bar to oh so many people!),

and Warbler's midget door greeter.

...'gosh how time flys'....And so has my memory!!

LongGun posted for a while under the name of LongGone when first repatriated to the UK, he organized the first Nanaplaza "Fantasy League Football" competition and entry fees had to be paid in cash, 500 Baht if my memory serves me right, given the exchange rates back then GBP 6, today more like GBP 10.

Santos has a longer history than many realize, I first met him when he was bar manager in "Warblers Bahrain" the sidekick to the British owner Graham. Graham planned on opening "Warblers Bangkok" but Santos stole his idea and beat him to it, the bar sign etc was a total copy of the original Bahrain bar, a caricature of Graham's side profile.

Cannot forget the band who played in Warblers, "Tommy's All Stars" headed up by Tommy himself the mad french percussionist, jammed with them myself on a few occasions.

When Graham set up in Bangkok he opened "The Living Room" near corner of Sukhumvit Soi 13 at the entrance to Clinton Plaza, the bar became the home of Nanapong Board, had the whiteboard listing "In Town BM's" on the Right Hand Side near the entrance, and his small private cinema at the back of the bar. When CEP and surrounding area was closed for redevelopment Graham then took over the bar on top floor of Raj Hotel Complex, now Ball in Hand, first bar in BKK with a Shuffleboard table and a Bucking Broncho.

Also on Sukhumvit between Soi 11 and 13 at that time was the original "New Wave" Pool Bar, all glass and UV lights plus plenty of freelancers.

Not sure if Soi Zero aka Buckskin Joes was still open when Soi 10 Beer Bar Complex opened, but a few of the bars were owned by ex Soi Zero bar owners including the large enclosed one at the rear, Air Conned Pool / Sports bar which a Scottish Guy "Alex" had sunk most of his life savings into, anyone who drank in Jools back then will know him well.

That was an interesting era for me back then, as a 30 something year old I took a year out and had an apartment on Suk 13 just behind the Ambassador, CEP / Living Room / Soi Beer Bars end off Soi, equidistant from NEP and Soi Cowboy and Sukhumvit street bars were starting to open up around then in response to Purachai's "New Social Order" Campaign. The big fire at Ambassador Hotel around Christmas 2001, night time demolition of the Beer Bars Feb 2002, never a dull moment.

As Rookie said "Memories"

Archived