Yep, Mail Order Brides Are Still News In Oz

gobbledonk

Predictably, Thailand gets a gong. The rest of it reads like classic Arab-baiting.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/visa-alarm-over-imported-teen-brides/story-fn7x8me2-1226187135597

UPDATE 4pm: HUNDREDS of 17-year-old girls have been brought to Australia to get married under a government visa program.

Australian law allows minors to wed only in strictly controlled circumstances, with court approval.

Child safety campaigners are demanding an immediate inquiry.

Today the federal opposition backed the push by demanding an investigation into an alleged visa racket involving teenage immigrant girls marrying older men.

Opposition immigration spokesman Scott Morrison urged Immigration Minister Chris Bowen to investigate, saying the figures raised concerns.

"Alarm bells should certainly ring and what I want to know is have those alarm bells been ringing, have these applications been properly interrogated?'' Mr Morrison told reporters in Sydney.

"He (Mr Bowen) should be investigating this issue throughly and give a full explanation about the administration of this program, regarding the giving of visas to girls under the age of 18 being brought to Australia under the suggestion of some sort of marriage racket.''

Mr Morrison said a coalition government would launch an inquiry into the entire family visa program to ensure its integrity.

Figures released to the Herald Sun show more than 200 17-year-old girls have been granted prospective spouse visas over the past five years. Most are from the Middle East or South-East Asia.

One 17-year-old from Thailand was brought out by a 57-year-old man. An Iraqi 17-year-old girl was sponsored by a 50-year-old.

More than 100 17-year-olds from Lebanon alone, sponsored by men aged from 19 to 37, have been granted visas. Under visa conditions, they must wed their sponsor within nine months.

In one case, a year 10 Lebanese girl sought protection after she arrived on a prospective spouse visa for an arranged marriage to a man decades her senior.

She found he was a violent drunk who kept a previous wife and three children in an adjoining townhouse.

She was granted a protection visa after her own family threatened to kill her.

"She will be slaughter and killed," the girl's family said in a letter.

"By God, by God I will kill you at the airport and I will bury you in the grave. O you dog."

Hundreds more 18, 19, and 20-year-old women have been sponsored by older men.

The Australian Childhood Foundation's Joe Tucci said the figures were shocking and called for an urgent inquiry.

"A thorough audit needs to be done to ensure these children are safe. Is this a program the Australian community really supports? This program seems to enable men to groom children and place them in a very vulnerable position," he said.

"On the one hand, Australia is doing a lot to stop sex tourism.

"But then you see figures like this, and you have to question what is going on."

Child safety researcher Dr Chris Goddard said the figures were extremely disturbing and joined the call for an inquiry.

"The policy makes a mockery of local marriage laws," he said.

"What interviews are done with the young people? We need a review of safeguards and a genuine discussion about what is an acceptable age difference."

An Immigration Department spokesman defended the visa program: "Applicants ... must meet a range of criteria ... including being able to demonstrate they are in a genuine ... relationship with their sponsoring partner."

I picked it up in the news this morning.

There was an interesting comment about whether the girls were still better off as an arranged bride in Australia than in what ever shithole they came from.

Didn't go down to well with the Arab bashers.

It can go back a lot further than 1985 Gobble, I remember a lot of post WW2 immigrant/refugee men sending back to Europe for a wife once they had established a foothold in Australia.

I picked it up in the news this morning.

There was an interesting comment about whether the girls were still better off as an arranged bride in Australia than in what ever shithole they came from.

Didn't go down to well with the Arab bashers.

It can go back a lot further than 1985 Gobble, I remember a lot of post WW2 immigrant/refugee men sending back to Europe for a wife once they had established a foothold in Australia.

WW1

My grandmother was 19 and English, got mailed to NZ for a 32 yr old Danish war Vet.

Has and always will be a phenomenon.

What is newsworthy is that someone thinks it's wrong.

Do the Thais have arranged marriages - by that, I mean family A thinks it would be a good idea if their daughter married into family B ? I've never heard of that in Thailand, but I suspect it happens without the guy/girl being completely aware of the 'arrangement' - happy to hear otherwise.

I worked with a Jewish guy many years ago, and he married the girl his parents picked out for him when they were both 3 years old. Seemed perfectly fine with it.

Thais usually do not match make for the children, but it does happen. Poor rural families have also been known to sell their atractive young daughters to rich men as "wives".

I knew a BG from Nongkhai years ago who had been sold to a wealthy Chinese-Thai businessman when she was 15. The family got 1 million baht for their daughter's virginity! The gal was a stunner even 10 years later, so she must have been something in her early teens too. The "husband" shagged her silly for a year, then let her go home. (The "marriages" are never registered.) He promptly bought another underage virgin for a million baht to replace her.

I've heard similar tales from other BGs, which is how they ended up in the traded. (Marital value decreased by being banged, plus they figured they had nothing left to lose.)

The North Asians - Chinese and Korean - are more into arranged marriages, though the Viets do it too. I've mentioned how my GF in RVN was forced to marry a complete strange by her bitch of a mother. I've only heard of it happening a few times in LOS. The first was a half-Chinese student whose Chinaman daddy picked a husband for her. (I wondered what her new husband would think when he discovered his "sweet young virgin" had been living with her Thai boyfriend at university for most of a year.)

Niece of the wife was unmarried at 30 and her mother worked very hard to arrange a marriage with a suitable bachelor. She went through about half a dozen local dipshits before her mother was finally put in the picture that her daughter would rather prefer something with tits.

Certainly in this particular area arranged marriages whilst hardly the norm are very prevalent.

The better off families may not choose their children's partners but certainly exercise a power of veto.

One of my wife's niece's boyfriend dumped virtually straight after graduation from university.

She told me.... his family is wealthy, he's not allowed to marry a "girl from the village".

Edit: You can buy a girl for a lot cheaper than a million baht up here, mostly illegals. Shan, Karen, hillstribe... take your pick.

A neighbour's daughter had a fairly well-to-do Chinese-Thai boyfriend in university. She was cute and had great tits. However, she was NOT Chinese, and we expected she was going to be in for a rude surprise. After being the guy's steady for a couple of years, he dropped her like a hot potato. Then he hooked up with a Chinese-Thai girl and married her right after graduation.

Edit: You can buy a girl for a lot cheaper than a million baht up here, mostly illegals. Shan, Karen, hillstribe... take your pick.

Great - I'm guessing it costs a lot more than a million baht when things dont work out and its time to send her back to the village ....

I guess I shouldnt be surprised by any of this - these are desperately poor people and it makes sense that they want money for the one thing they've produced that richer people might consider 'valuable'. Media here tried to beat up 'outrage' over a 19-yr old Chinese virgin being offered up for 4 days of 'whatever' here in Oz, in exchange for a mere 25K. If I was paying that sort of money, I think I'd want someone who knew what they were doing for 4 days - based on my experiences with Chinese women, the lucky 'winner' might have a starfish on his hands.

Archived