Bei Otto Tourist Trap

exit2dos

If you like German food don't go to Bei Otto. The Goulash sucked. It must have been made a week ago. The beef was old really old. If it was in my refrigerator, I would have thrown it out. And the price, forget it. With the ++and bottled water, it cost almost 500 Bt. Foolishly bought apple strudel. Shame on the baker. Unfriendly service, too. Skip it.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was there last month and it was ok. It is pricey!

Especially their bakery is excellent.

The hunks of beef, in the goulash, must have been cooked a week before and was kept refrigerated. I've been taking meds, since I ate there. As far as the bakery, what passes for apple strudel (150 BT) is really an apple turnover or mini apple pie.

Walked in there, took a look at the items for sale and then walked out. Not impressed.

The bread rolls are good, the luch rolls are quite good, the breakfast is vulcanized eggs.

At first I thought I had been given by mistake the imitation eggs you see in a Japanese restaurant, it turns out they had found a way to cook real eggs and make them the texture of rubber.

Fascinating experience not to be repeated ever. Coffee only a German reminiscing about Eritz Coffee would enjoy.

Black Balls

It is an old restaurant, goes back to the "German years" right after Jimmy Carter pulled out the last of the GIs. I've eaten there in the past and loved it. Sounds like a change of ownership. That is what happened to the Old Dutch at the end of Soi Cowboy. I used to love the rijstaffel at the Old Dutch, but that was long ago. It was sold to Thais and is a dump these days, completely different menu too.

Still same owner at 'Bei Otto'. It depends on what you eat, the goulash may well have been below par but other dishes are excellent.

Had 3 German sausages and they were delicious, a trout which was medium and a noodle dish 'Kaessespaetzle' which had good cheese but the noodles were rubbery and it was dripping with oil (although I haven't found a good 'speatzel' anywhere in the LOS yet). The starter was excellent again, a mixed appetizer plate.

I would agree that for the prices they charge the overall quality should/could be slighter better.

The bakery is good, daily fresh bread and plenty of 'kuchen' to choose from.

Archived