Bei Otto Tourist Trap

exit2dos

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bei Otto is a survivor. Whatever happened to Haus Hamburg and Haus Muenchen? The Singha Bier Haus is only a memory. Bobby Decozier had Die Kneipe on Patpong for a while, also long gone.

p.s. Much lamented is Dolf Riks's restaurant in Pattaya when he was running it and the days when the Old Dutch was Dutch owned and good. (Avoid the Old Dutch now like a plague!) And who can forget Nick's #1? :(

Always had a big freebie pig-out at the Royal Orchid Sheraton for Oktoberfest when I was in publishing. Lufthansa would fly over a plane load of German beer, wine, food etc ... the real thing, fantastic! The requirement was that anything not eaten had to be flown back to Germany. We did our best to see that that plane would return empty except for the slap dancers in their Lederhosen. :beer:

From Stickman's column on 9/5/2010,

"I'm very much a creature of habit and tend to go the same places over and over again - something that is reflected in this column with the same venues constantly mentioned. There are venues I have been in the past, which I have enjoyed, but for whatever reason I have not returned to. One such place is Bei Otto, the German restaurant just a short walk into Sukhumvit soi 20 on the left-hand side. I made it back this past week for only the third time in all my years in Bangkok and as per my two previous visits, it was excellent. German food might not have the reputation of French or Italian, but don't let that put you off. Bei Otto is a really nice venue and has great German food which I guess must be authentic for everyone around us was speaking German. It has a very nice vibe, EXCELLENT (WAY better than I expect in Thailand) service and overall just a really good time was had. Highly recommended and we will return."

From Stickman's column on 9/5/2010,

"I'm very much a creature of habit and tend to go the same places over and over again - something that is reflected in this column with the same venues constantly mentioned. There are venues I have been in the past, which I have enjoyed, but for whatever reason I have not returned to. One such place is Bei Otto, the German restaurant just a short walk into Sukhumvit soi 20 on the left-hand side. I made it back this past week for only the third time in all my years in Bangkok and as per my two previous visits, it was excellent. German food might not have the reputation of French or Italian, but don't let that put you off. Bei Otto is a really nice venue and has great German food which I guess must be authentic for everyone around us was speaking German. It has a very nice vibe, EXCELLENT (WAY better than I expect in Thailand) service and overall just a really good time was had. Highly recommended and we will return."

I've been there many, many, times over the years. Always been a pleasure to dine there. A bit pricey for some items, but a nice decor, good service, good foods and beers and liquors. I like the occasional German meal, and love their beers, wines and liquors. A nice chilled Underberg goes well after a meal too!

Their deli and bakery have some great foods and pastries, cold cut sandwiches take away, and various pretzels and breads that are excellent.

The OP must have gotten a bad dish or been there on an off day maybe? It happens. I've never had a problem there in years and years of giving them my custom.

I have not been to Bei Otto to many times, maybe 3 or 4 times over the years (price). I do buy some things in their deli from time to time.

If I would have had more money I would have eaten there more regularly over the years. The food there has always been very good!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived