Drawing A Line On The Map ....

gobbledonk

Hi,

'Pedigree' is hardly an indication of a girl's character or whether or not she'll screw you over.

One of my ex-bosses got taken for about 7M Baht by his 'girlfriend' who was from a good family, had a good job/education and also - unbeknownst to him - a Thai boyfriend.

Sanuk!

Right,

But I think the point being made is that is exactly how prospective partners should be judged. Specifically that some geographical boundaries can be drawn to separate good from bad. Bollocks I say.

All women will fuck with your head but very few will fuck you over. Those that will are as likely to be a super model business tycoon as a knuckle dragging farmer, as for where they come from even more variable.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

'Pedigree' is hardly an indication of a girl's character or whether or not she'll screw you over.

One of my ex-bosses got taken for about 7M Baht by his 'girlfriend' who was from a good family, had a good job/education and also - unbeknownst to him - a Thai boyfriend.

Sanuk!

As did this little black duck - replace Thai with Chinese, and Thai boyfriend with overweight older Englishman :confused:

As did this little black duck - replace Thai with Chinese, and Thai boyfriend with overweight older Englishman :confused:

Hang on - I'm confused - how many of those people were you actually having sex with, Red ? :neener:

Frightening thought, that, but it couldnt be any worse than the situation we have here. Back in my early days, a mate and I would laugh at the hideous creatures many of the married soldiers had ended up with, and it was inevitably because 'she's good with the kids, mate ...'. He was an astute observer, or maybe I'm just oblivious - he reckoned nature was cruel in the way it decreed that the homeliest women were often the most fertile, leading to generations of really ordinary looking people. Hmm, I wonder why he looked at ME when he said things like that ? :patty:

• 3 weeks later...

Great news - with Stick's help, I may have found not one but several parts of Isaan worthy of inclusion on my 'New Farang Map of Thailand'.

From a recent column:

Perhaps the prettiest provincial capital in Isaan is Nakhon Phanom, which sits on the Mekong River across from Laos. Tranquility, pretty temples...and for sure, pretty women who are somewhat fairer than those from other parts of the region. On my visits to Nakhon Phanom I found locals to be less gregarious than the general populace of the region, and they are certainly more conservative. What I find most intriguing is that unlike other provinces in the region, there's a dearth of women from Nakhon Phanom working in bars for foreigners. While you find heaps of girls in bars from the likes of Udon Thani, Khon Kaen, Kalasin, Nongkhai and Buriram etc, I don't ever remember talking with a girl from Nakhon Phanom in a naughty bar. I am sure they are out there, but there appear to be fewer than from any of the other provinces in the region. I just wonder if there is a slightly different mindset in Nakhon Phanom than there is in other parts of the Isaan region. Or maybe because the locals from that part of the country tend to be fairer, the girls who do enter the trade end up in the sector for Thai men where white skin is prized as a sign of beauty?

Inevitably, someone here will tell me that there are entire bars in Pattaya from that part of Isaan, but at this stage I'm with Stick - I've never had a girl tell me she is from Nakhon Phanom (or Sakhon Nakhon/Mukdahan/Amnat Charoen), but then I ask myself how many of these girls would simply migrate to the nearest regional centre for work at 16, realise it wasnt so rosy, and end up in Bangkok or Pattaya at around 20 or so anyway ?

It doesnt take long to draw a line from any of the above towns to Isaan's 'Big Five', and I assume its a doddle by bus:

http://www.thailand-ticket.de/issan/issan-map.htm

If Stick is correct about Nakhon Phanom being more conservative than its neighbours, all the more reason for a girl to tell Farang that she is from 'Udon' - it wouldn't be the most egregious mistruth I've ever heard in a bar, and I cant see too many Farang leaping up and shouting 'Liar ! I can tell from your accent that you arent from Udon !' .......

Sigh - back to those lines on my map. :biggrin:

Went up there in 2002 from memory - nice spot. Not a lot to do, but pretty nonetheless. Did a trip to Nong Khai - Vientianne, then down the river road by bus and crossed back to Nakhon Phanom by boat. Was fun, especially when the Thai immigration bloke didn't know how many days to give me on the visa... TG of the day told him it was usually 4 weeks, and he obliged.

I think I saw one other farang during that trip (NP, not Laos), and we were both the town novelty.

Went up there in 2002 from memory - nice spot. Not a lot to do, but pretty nonetheless. Did a trip to Nong Khai - Vientianne, then down the river road by bus and crossed back to Nakhon Phanom by boat. Was fun, especially when the Thai immigration bloke didn't know how many days to give me on the visa... TG of the day told him it was usually 4 weeks, and he obliged.

I think I saw one other farang during that trip (NP, not Laos), and we were both the town novelty.

Thanks Red - sobering to think that 2002 was almost 10 years ago. Seems like only 9. :neener:

When you look at where it is on the map, its not difficult to believe they don't get a lot of Farang out there. A long way from BKK, not mentioned on any visa run sites I've ever seen and you can access the Mekong/Laos more conveniently from Udon. I spent two weeks in a similar town in Southern China some years back, and you really do start to feel like you've landed on Mars.

Archived