Can I Extend Retirement Visa A Bit ?

gawguy

The date on my one yr retirement visa issued in USA is screwing me up. It says "Enter before Aug 15, 2012"

I'm on a regular schedule with my trips and I really want to come back Sept 5, 2012 or thereabouts.

I'll be wrapping up my next trip in Pattaya about 4 months before that date. If I go to the Imm Office in Jomtien, can I get some kind of an extension?

It is too big a hassle to go thru the visa app process in USA, med exam, etc., just for that short a time. On the other hand, if I don't hit a scheduled date (or you could say anticipated date) it throws off the dates of the next visit. I have responsibilities and my regular schedule allows me to fulfill them.

Thanks.

Gaw Guy

You mean you already have one? A friend got caught up a few years ago simply because he had been in the UK and got ill and didn't return in time to have his 800,000 in the bank for 3 months before renewal. They made him go to Penang for a tourist visa and then after one month renewed his retirement visa for him. You never know what Thai immigration is going to do. I'd try to be here by the date it says. :p

I'd still talk to immigration, but I don't know how helpful they would be.

The date on my one yr retirement visa issued in USA is screwing me up. It says "Enter before Aug 15, 2012"

I'm on a regular schedule with my trips and I really want to come back Sept 5, 2012 or thereabouts.

I'll be wrapping up my next trip in Pattaya about 4 months before that date. If I go to the Imm Office in Jomtien, can I get some kind of an extension?

It is too big a hassle to go thru the visa app process in USA, med exam, etc., just for that short a time. On the other hand, if I don't hit a scheduled date (or you could say anticipated date) it throws off the dates of the next visit. I have responsibilities and my regular schedule allows me to fulfill them.

Thanks.

Gaw Guy

Can you be more specific on what kind of visa you actually have? Do you have a multi year Non-Imm "O" that gets you a a 90 day permission to stay stamp each time you enter and was issued for a one year validity period?

Or do you have a one year Non-Imm "OA" that gives you a one year permission to stay stamp? From your statement that you have to get med exam this is what is sounds like you have.

Look and see what permission to stay stamp they give you when you enter. If they give you 90 days each time, then you have a Non-Imm "O", if they give you a year then you have a "OA". The date on the visa itself is meaningless for this discussion, it is only the date the visa is valid (Enter before) for and has no bearing on how long you can stay.

If indeed you have a one year multi entry Non-Imm "OA" that expires on Aug 15, 2012, then when you enter in April 2012 (?), they should give you a permission to stay stamp that is one year from that date (April 2013). On that trip go to immigration and get a multiple re-entry permit and so that each time you leave and enter and they will continue to give you a permission to stay stamp with a April 2013 date.

TH

Can you be more specific on what kind of visa you actually have? ... a one year Non-Imm "OA" that gives you a one year permission to stay stamp? From your statement that you have to get med exam this is what is sounds like you have.

TH

Thanks for the info..it seems to be good news. That's what I have, Non-Imm OA stamped for 1 yr. Cost $175 in USA.

Are you saying I can just keep renewing / extending this in Pattaya without med exams, police clearance, financial certifications in USA and just go back and forth?

What's the fee in baht for an extension?

That seems too good to be true...I don't know much about it, but I think I might be misunderstanding.

Thanks for the detailed response.

Gaw Guy

A retirement visa is not much hassle to renew. No need for all the paperwork you had to have the first time. But I have heard from people who were given a hard time because they were only spending say 4 months a year in LOS. Immmigration wanted to know why they needed a retirement visa, when they obviously weren't living here full time.

A retirement visa is not much hassle to renew. No need for all the paperwork you had to have the first time. But I have heard from people who were given a hard time because they were only spending say 4 months a year in LOS. Immmigration wanted to know why they needed a retirement visa, when they obviously weren't living here full time.

So...I live in TLand 6mo / yr for the last ten yrs. That's still not full time so I'm not sure of where this leaves me. In TLand do policies vary from Imm Office to Office? Do you think Pattaya office would raise that question, or were you talking about something that happened at Pattaya?

Thanks,

GG

The "O" visa is a multi-entry, one year visa that does not require med exam, etc. It can only be renewed (reissued) outside of LOS, from the last I heard.

Doing a O-A (retirement) visa in LOS is easy. No police report, finger prints, etc. It can be renewed inside of LOS.

Never heard of either of these being extended, only renewed or reissued.

Thanks for the info..it seems to be good news. That's what I have, Non-Imm OA stamped for 1 yr. Cost $175 in USA.

Are you saying I can just keep renewing / extending this in Pattaya without med exams, police clearance, financial certifications in USA and just go back and forth?

What's the fee in baht for an extension?

That seems too good to be true...I don't know much about it, but I think I might be misunderstanding.

Thanks for the detailed response.

Gaw Guy

No, that is not what I said at all.

Forget the visa. It is meaningless for this discussion. This is not about visa extension. In fact there is no such thing as a visa extension. What gets extended or preserved (with a re-entry permit) is the permission to stay stamp.

Look at the page in passport that has the entry stamp the last time you entered Thailand. It should have two dates on it. First one is admitted date. Right below that is another date called "until". What is the difference between those two dates? If it is about 365 days then it would appear you have a one year multi entry "OA" visa.

If indeed you have the one year multi entry "OA" visa, they will stamp you in for 365 days every time you enter until the visa expires. If you are coming in April next year, you should get stamped in until April 2013. During that stay you go get a re-entry permit (3,800 baht for multiple entry). A re-entry permit allows you to leave and on coming back keeps the "until" date, mentioned earlier, that you had when you got the re-entry permit valid, even when you leave the country.

So if you go to immigration during your April 2012 visit and get a re-entry permit. That re-entry permit will say it is valid until April 2013, the date of your permission to stay stamp at the time you get the re-entry permit. That re-entry permit will have a number on it. That is number you put on the entry card. The immigration officer will look at your entry card, see that number and look in your passport for the re-entry permit which will tell him what date to put on in the “until†part of the arrival stamp.

It’s all very simple, but people make a mess of it by using the wrong terms.

TH

Visa = a document in your passport, usually a stamp or sticker, that allows you to travel to a country's port of entry and subject to the conditions of the Visa be granted a Permit of Stay at an immigration post

Permit of stay = usually in the form of a stamp, is a document that is placed in your passport by the immigration official stipulating your allowed duration of stay. Permit's of stay may be extended in various situations(work etc...)detailing "issue date" and "permitted to stay until" date.

The "O" visa is a multi-entry, one year visa that does not require med exam, etc. It can only be renewed (reissued) outside of LOS, from the last I heard.

Doing a O-A (retirement) visa in LOS is easy. No police report, finger prints, etc. It can be renewed inside of LOS.

Never heard of either of these being extended, only renewed or reissued.

An OA visa is only issued outside Thailand and when the holder enters Thailand they get a a 1 year permission to stay stamp. It cannot be renewed in Thailand.

What can be done, and it is rather easy, if for the permission to stay stamp to be extended for up to one year at time by showing you are over 50, have 800k THB in bank or income of 65k THB a month. When getting that extension is advisable to get a re-entry permit which will allow you to leave the country and return keeping that extended permission to stay stamp valid.

That re-entry permit is titled "Non-Imm" which causes the confusion. It is not a visa.

TH

Archived