Using Thailand As A Base To Visit Other Countries?

Gobble I am NOT talking about what you get at the airport, but what a EMBASSY or CONSULATE gives you.

Some don't care (those far from Thailand) how many "Visa's" you have (Not entry permits!!!) but those close to Thailand have been told no more than three.

I oddly find that web board that is boring as a . . . . . Thai Visa has by far the best information and most accurate, it also matches my own experiences,

Employing 4 people paying tax and soc security is a tad more expensive than getting a wife visa - or maybe not

:)

The Divorce costs more mate, trust me, even so My Lawyer and I may get married soon for a Non-Imm O as long as pre nuptials are in place to save money on Tax, Social and Accounts fees, pure business agreement, I know it sounds shallow but so am I, plus it will make it easier for her to get a visa to UK when I bail out of here.

We have been together literally 24/7 for the past 18 months now so going to the Amphur office and getting a piece of paper wont change much will it

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gobble I am NOT talking about what you get at the airport, but what a EMBASSY or CONSULATE gives you.

Some don't care (those far from Thailand) how many "Visa's" you have (Not entry permits!!!) but those close to Thailand have been told no more than three.

Mate, I know I'm seen as an 'eternal newbie' here, but I do know the difference between a visa exemption and the full page visa, complete with elaborate crest and Thai script. I have had two of the latter from Penang and one from Vientiane - clearly, this has nothing to do with the '30-day' exemption stamp most foreign nationals are given at the airport. Flasher has indicated that he believes the rule is 'no more than 3 in a single year', and that makes sense to me. Anyone who IS living in Thailand will soon realise that being forced to spend the last 3 months of the year outside the Kingdom isnt in their best interests and, presumably, make other arrangements - I get that.

Per Google images. THIS is the visa I am referring to:

Thailand-visa.jpg

I have similar fullpage visas from China, Laos and Cambo in each of my passports - I do know the freaking difference.

Why the hell would I have a problem getting another TV from VT when the last time they issued me one from that Consulate was 2008 ?

My earlier comment re Farang crossing the border at Nong Khai 'at will' is based on two things:

- when I spent a week in Udon Thani in 2008, a Laos guy claimed that Thai Immigration at the border was slack with Farang and Laos people alike - he claimed it was a consequence of the 'open border' between Laos and Thailand.

- when Coss first moved to Laos, he seemed to be be able to cross into Thailand at will, several times over a period of months. I dont want to put him on the spot, but I assumed that each of these was accompanied by a 15-day stamp in his passport on the Thai side and another 30 days on the Laos side. I realise that some of his trips were flights - obviously the Thais werent perturbed by any (recent) 15-day stamps in his passport.

Yet again, I may have put two and two together and come up with 'five', but that's where I was coming from.

Gee Gobble, you do know everything, so little I can say other than I have seen twice now people refused in Vientiane Tourist Visa's and it's been widely reported, that they go back more than a year, but what would I know, err, other than seeing it

I did try to explain that border crossing entry permits are NOT the same, you seemed to agree, and now you ask why was Coss allowed them multiple times.

So that confuses me, do you or don't you understand the difference?

If you want to spend a month crossing back and forth at the border, YOU CAN, as I told Munchie before and he has since confirmed no one gives a shit how many times you come in and out, BUT if you want to apply for VISA'S, then there is a problem.

But shit what would I know other than doing this and seeing it many times, not putting Coss on the spot, but he knows how many times i come over to Laos as well.

If you've done it, then clearly that is all that matters - my concern is around the '3 visa exemption stamps in a 90-day period and you have to go and get a Tourist Visa before you can re-enter Thailand' rule. I am confident that I can get a TV in Penang, regardless of the fact that I already have two older Penang-issued visas in my passport - I guess I'll find out in 2014.

• 6 months later...

Hi I'm planing on taking a very long tour of Asia China India Thailand but instead of buying a multi country ticket in the states . I was thinking it might be cheaper for me to just buy a ticket to Thailand and from there buy tickets to China and India. I would like to spend 3 months in Thailand and the rest of my time in the other countries and finaly returning home from Thailand back to the USA . Question I have is if I arrive in Thailand with a round trip ticket dated 8 months later from entry to return will I have any problems with immigration officials upon entry? Being that Thailand just gives 30 entry visas would they ask me any questions regarding what I'm planing on doing for such a long time between entrry and return?

Archived