Using Thailand As A Base To Visit Other Countries?

I suspect this doesn't work any more, but you used to be able to cross into Burma and shop at the black markets w/o any visa or stamp. You handed your passport to the Thai police, who held it for you. You had to return the same day, when they would hand your passport back. A very sensible and Thai solution to a problem ...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect this doesn't work any more, but you used to be able to cross into Burma and shop at the black markets w/o any visa or stamp. You handed your passport to the Thai police, who held it for you. You had to return the same day, when they would hand your passport back. A very sensible and Thai solution to a problem ...

You must have been very confident that they would give it back to you without some sort of 'fee' being payable.

I still works Flash, or did last month.

They call it a VIP pass, you leave your passport and two photocopies of the main page with Thai border immigration along with 100B.

You get to jump the queue at Myanmar immigration with no photo session (just cough up the normal 500) and also coming back you just walk past the lined up peasants and go round to departures and pick up your passport at the side door.

Myanmar immigration have become more and more reluctant to accept US$10 entry fee, they prefer 500B. I suspect they use the 500B to buy dollars to hand over to the govt. and pocket the change, currently around 200B on a $10 note.

Nice earner for a lowly paid public servant, particularly if you can score about a hundred in a day.

• 2 weeks later...

Again, it is NOT a 'visa on arrival' - its a visa exemption. Semantics, maybe, but anyone who has the full-page visa in their passport will know the relative economy of a single stamp entitling you to stay in the Kingdom for 30 days (or whatever it is by land). The visa are very pretty, no question, but an Oz passport costs over $200 atm, and you get to sit on your hands for over a fortnight waiting for it to be issued. Every page of my passport is precious :xmsgrin:

Your semantics can end up with someone having a 15 day stay in the Kingdom

Your semantics can end up with someone having a 15 day stay in the Kingdom

The only time that has ever been the case is when I made the 1-hour visa run to the Cambo border. Every other time it has been a 30-day stamp or the fullpage visa in my passport. Granted, you dont ask them for a 'visa exemption' - I try not to say anyhing at all - but that's what it is for most of us flying in to the LOS.

I crossed and returned today with the VIP pass, 100B on the Thai side, no stamps in the passport.

Was surprised to find a new "duty free" booze shop in Tachilek that seemed to be supervised by a senior Thai police officer in full uniform.

Picked up a bottle of Laphroaig and two bottles of Bordeaux just in case.... B)

Yes, the 10 year old and 1350 baht, about $45 for a liter bottle.

There's always some skepticism about legitimacy of booze bought in Burma but I've never had a problem.

This shop had quite a range of Scotch whisky and other spirits, the Laphroaig came in a proper tubular box and had it's little book inside that seemed in order.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived