I Think I Just Got Married

panadolsandwich

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The house itself was garishly furnished in all the stereotypical trappings of wealth. Some of it tasteful - some decidely not. My leg had a slight limp from the savage kick earlier, but I perservered down the grand hallway. Finally we came upon a dining room and there was quite a spread. The table must have been twelve feet long but the Mother and Father took up either ends. Well this is awkward I thought as I sat two seats down from the father - my girlfriend sat opposite me. We ate in perfect silence some very elegant dishes - if anything else I was thinking - this guy doesn't stint on the basics. Every time I took a sip of red wine, some goon would top it up again. I swigged the entire glass and sure enough it was refilled in milliseconds. When the meal was done the ladies left the table somberely; I was left alone with the old man and he handed me a cigar. So here it comes I thought - you cunt, don't ask me what I'm doing with your daughter.

'So what are you doing with my daughter?', he asks.

'Well we have become very close don't you know? I love her.'

What followed become an interrogation of sorts. Except it involved him ranting and raving at me fairly unintelligebly - I caught about every third or fourth word - and only slightly - it's fair to say that it was mostly bad. At length his footman gave him a piece of paper.

'So it appears you studied medicine at the University of Queensland' he said crisply. 'Well I did and after I got the degree I..'

'You are a Captian in the Australian Army right?' I answered credulously 'Well yes the reserves damn it, confound it what are you...'

'Then you finished a mining engineering degree right?' I couldn't believe this..' damn you, you insolent bastard - have you been investigating me?'

He stood upright and said, 'Where my daughter is concerned I take all and any precautions. I've got people tailing you, of course, I'm a very careful person - and what does insolent bastard mean' - I'd reverted to English for that last barb and he was clueless.

Well it's a kind of endearing term really - used amongst friends most usually I said drolly in impeccable Thai feeling safe and cosseted. 'I KNOW WHAT INSOLENT BASTARD MEANS YOU FUCKING UPSTART - DO YOU THINK I'M STUPID?' - this was, well this was unexpected - I've got a quick temper myself - but this was completely unprecedented in it's suddeness - especially in peaceful Thailand.

I stood on my two feet - Well what do you mean by this, this vituperation - has someone poisoned you against me? For christ sakes I love your daughter and I - then everything went blurry, then dark and I went to sleep...

I had this friend at school - he was a wild child and used to get us into trouble all the time. The teachers suspected him of some psychological problem - possibly dyslexia and sent him off to the requisite analysts. They gave him an IQ test and he cavalierly did it scoring a 165 - and when he said he wasn't even trying I believed him. This put him in the realm of geniuses - and the teachers in the realm of stupid cunts was how he put it. We used to fight all the time - actual fist fights, with bottles and later on sometimes knives. He put me in hospital one time - then once I got out I returned the favour - brick in hand. Sort of callow I know, but I was like that then. Set me up for life though - try to punch me now and you'll most likely wake up in hospital. Often we'd fight over girls. Girls were always instantly attracted to him - but never seemed to fail to fall in love with me. It became a symbiotic thing - he surely wasn't from my species and I'm sure he felt the same way.

He had what I can only describe as a dark charisma. We both did really, except his was extraordinary. He was like a film star. When he left school and started getting involved with a bikie gang I was going to university - but we still saw each other. Still traded girls, smoked dope, played guitars. He'd risen fast through the ranks on a kind of dream kid run - but he was kind of universally liked in the club - shit I couldn't blame them all the cash and women he was bringing into the club was hardly ever going to be a negative thing. We'd spend long nights talking about gang business - and I became a kind of consigliere without really thinking about it. The club was very sanguine about it - kind of like we were the intellectual machine - whatever you say about those type of guys they fucking adored us. I didn't ever really think at any point I was doing anything wrong - a lot of my influence went into taming the wilder ideas he espoused - but in its own way I know I helped him enormously. I kind of gave him a license - from his oldest bestest friend - and I watched the ensuing battle on the news each night at 6pm. It did kind of give me a kick watching that shit I helped design and knowing the distance between myself and it. I know now it was wrong of course.

He started giving me cash gifts - but I knew what this was all about - now I was on the payroll. I used them to buy a brand new BMW M3 a few months before my 21st birthday. I was on the inside track at university studying medicine and I'd just been commissioned in the Australian Army. Life was going well.

The bikie gang was storming the country confounding its rivals whom must have never really knew what they were up against. At one point I had five pharmacists and ten chemists as good friends helping me out. We'd use gps before anyone knew what it even was to keep track of people. I was on track to retire before I even made 25, then my old friend started to take drugs - a serious no-no.

We had our final falling out - he was so weak from his drug abuse I just kicked him down the stairs, then took pity on him and kind of cradled his head at the foot of the stairs. I told him that's me and you fucking finished and don't ever try to contact me again. I was tired of the games and I had an excellent straight life to turn to - I suppose I never really thought where he'd turn to. He glared up at me in hate and I gave a kind of half-hearted nostalgic kick in the ribs - then promptly forgot about him.

So all the more to my surprise when I woke up in that Thai house - and his leering face - wake up you stupid fucking bastard!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived