So I Bought A Tablet

radioman

What was the main reason for not getting an iPad? Price?

All engineers around me, dozens of them, have some tablet, but no iPads. Galaxy or Acer. Just on Monday I saw one - it belonged to a salesman.

The engineers (software) dislike to be locked into Apple fiefdom, everything hardwired and hardcoded, no USB. Fcuk the appearance, others are not all that ugly.

Edit: my reason to buy Acer was that whatever I need is in Japanese and even translated (software) is not good enough and I have someone to ask (all geeks, pleased to help).

Another reason, not only mine, was how ferociosly Apple went after Samsung for alleged patent violation and prevented them from being sold in some countries.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine came with 3.16 and Acer site for Japan does not offer 3.2. I think Singapore site does. It had to be downloaded from an external site (a colleague did it before on micro SSD, used it for my tablet.

The upgrade is at own risk, unsupported by Acer and it was done as root.

Okay, sounds like the device needs to be rooted first. I will likely do that to mine, just need to understand the chance of bricking it first.

I can hear Thai speak from the soapies, must be some serial, annoying musical themes that I have heard before...morlam tubes are too short (for 30 mins Japanese style bath) and she knows if the tablet is dropped into the water or manipulated with wet hands, it's end of it.

Not to mention appropriate payback! heh heh. Well I'm sure it's all good and no doubt most of our girls definitely get a kick out of some of this tech stuff too.

I personally have never seen the attraction of a Tablet and just don't know how or where I would use one, they are neither a Smartphone nor a netbook IMHO.

For "Ultra Portable" I need a device that I can hook up to work networks (Computerised Control Systems) and also use to give presentations as well as use as a laptop. This is where a dual boot Macbook Air suits my needs.

Using it for functions that a Tablet is useful for, the trackpad has the same "Pinch and Scroll" functionality of an iPad or Samsung and I find it more practical as the trackpad is about the same size as the iPhone screen so no need to "Recalibrate my fingers"

Don't get me wrong, I am not against Tablets as such, but they are just not for me, no doubt I will end up picking up a second hand one at some stage for the Girlfriend to use.

I personally have never seen the attraction of a Tablet and just don't know how or where I would use one, they are neither a Smartphone nor a netbook IMHO.

For "Ultra Portable" I need a device that I can hook up to work networks (Computerised Control Systems) and also use to give presentations as well as use as a laptop. This is where a dual boot Macbook Air suits my needs.

Using it for functions that a Tablet is useful for, the trackpad has the same "Pinch and Scroll" functionality of an iPad or Samsung and I find it more practical as the trackpad is about the same size as the iPhone screen so no need to "Recalibrate my fingers"

Don't get me wrong, I am not against Tablets as such, but they are just not for me, no doubt I will end up picking up a second hand one at some stage for the Girlfriend to use.

Horses for courses I think. It's a different market. The WHOLE IDEA is that they are neither smartphone nor netbook, and I have one of each of those too. My take, good as the smartphones are getting, which is pretty good I'd say, they will always be too small to be really useful for a lot of things. Sort of the same with the netbook. My Asus 1101 is great and I couldn't imagine to be without it, I mnight upgrade to one of the new super thin netbooks in a while but the tablet really addresses a whole different segment I think.

In the last year or so I've been reading a lot on my phone using the Kindle app, but the reality is the screen really is too small. It's too much effotr most of the time to drag the netbookj out and the shorter battery life make it less than ideal. A new Macbook air or one of the new super thins with their 8 hour batteries would help I'm sure but it's just not the same level of convenience.

Maps on the tablet are great. So much better than a 4 or 7 inch screen GPS you can throw that road atlas away. It's that sort of thing the tablet is goingto make a difference to.

Needing one, or not, is one level of conciousness. Wanting one and finding out how it can fit into your life the way you would rather live it is another.

Argh, now I'm getting all argumentative, hah hah. Beer time (for me at least, not you kong!)

Hi,

My, perhaps less clear question concerns the My Apps screen of the market application. This lists installed and uninstalled applications. There seems no way to remove a title from the list of already uninstalled apps.

Sorry, don't understand what you are trying to ask.

What was the main reason for not getting an iPad? Price?

Same as radioman for me, I do not want Apple shit. I really do not like the restrictive nature of it. Not used iTunes, but from all I've heard it is very annoying. With the Tab you just hook it up to the PC and you can drag and drop stuff into it using the Explorer. Very easy.

Sanuk!

Needing one, or not, is one level of conciousness. Wanting one and finding out how it can fit into your life the way you would rather live it is another.

Argh, now I'm getting all argumentative, hah hah. Beer time (for me at least, not you kong!)

Not argumentative at all, merely two differing viewpoints on the topic leading to healthy debate.

I cannot comment on the Samsung Galaxy having never used one, but I did "Test Drive" an iPad for a few days and whilst they are OK for what they are I couldn't see any major advantage over a Maccy Air. Neither fit in your pocket and the Air is not physically that much bigger than an iPad and the additional 400 Gram weight is not that noticeable. On an aircraft both fit easily into the seat back magazine rack.

As for using one as a GPS, I would feel a bit of a dick pulling out a tablet if I was lost or needed directions, my iPhone works just fine, as long as I put my glasses on. I also find GPS functions more useful when used in conjunction with Mass Transit Apps for any city I am in that I an unfamiliar with, Worldfun and I had a good night out in Madrid following my bookmarked locations. I have never lost a mobile but I would be slightly dubious of carrying a Tablet around the "South American" bars of Madrid at 3 AM.

But as you said, horses for courses and each to their own etc.

Banana and Pineapple Smoothie for me now

Cheers

Kong

Not argumentative at all, merely two differing viewpoints on the topic leading to healthy debate.

I cannot comment on the Samsung Galaxy having never used one, but I did "Test Drive" an iPad for a few days and whilst they are OK for what they are I couldn't see any major advantage over a Maccy Air. Neither fit in your pocket and the Air is not physically that much bigger than an iPad and the additional 400 Gram weight is not that noticeable. On an aircraft both fit easily into the seat back magazine rack.

As for using one as a GPS, I would feel a bit of a dick pulling out a tablet if I was lost or needed directions, my iPhone works just fine, as long as I put my glasses on. I also find GPS functions more useful when used in conjunction with Mass Transit Apps for any city I am in that I an unfamiliar with, Worldfun and I had a good night out in Madrid following my bookmarked locations. I have never lost a mobile but I would be slightly dubious of carrying a Tablet around the "South American" bars of Madrid at 3 AM.

But as you said, horses for courses and each to their own etc.

Banana and Pineapple Smoothie for me now

Cheers

Kong

Question to all; What is a good iPhone app for directions in Thailand, in English and Thai?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of getting a tablet.

Read the comments here.

Whats the advantage of getting a 3G version?

I'm thinking about getting a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet but would like to be able to connect it to a PC.

Mention is made of this in the comments but if I read it correctly its not the Samsung model, am I correct with this assumption ?

Looked up the Acer Iconia and it seems to have USB.

Archived