So I Bought A Tablet

radioman

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"Anyone else here have any problems at all with the same product ?? "

Mine isn't completely the same (have the 16Gb), but no such problems at all. As a matter of fact I've not encountered any issues.

Sanuk!

Thanks for that.

I've searched various forums one of which (thegalaxytabforum.com) had a viewer quoting a somewhat similar problem to mine but he seemed to have fixed it himself (but for how long).

At this stage I'd rather send it back and maybe get a new one. If I kept it I'd always be worried the same problem might come back. Thats apart from the fact that the Samsung Rep said send it back.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest on this saga is that I sent back the first one on instructions from Samsung because they said it was a 'fault'.

Bought another identical model.

Same 'problem'. This time I decided that maybe its not a fault but something else. The likelyhood of getting two duds seemed unlikely.

Anyway, kept with it and after a number of trials etc I think I've nailed it. Not happy its like this but once its up and running there is no problems.

Basically the problem is that I need to switch on the tablet and the modem in a particular sequence. If the modem is on first and I then power up the tablet (after it has been fully powered down) the tablet sees the modem but doesn't seem to be able to connect.

However, if I power up the tablet first and set the wi fi to scan and then power up the modem then the tablet works fine.

I intend letting Samsung know of this 'kinky' set up because to me the tablet should be able to see and connect to the modem irrespective of when the modem is switched on.

I have a second sim tied to one number, so one bill, and on an unlimited AIS plan.

BTW, fixed my SMS issue, the stock messaging APP works fine, Gawd knows how I missed that, though I suspect alcohol may have played a part :)

Quick question slightly off topic. The unlimited refers to data, yeah? If one wanted a phone/data (unlimited) plan with AIS with two separate SIMs, phone and tablet, how much does that typically cost per month? Do you have to sign a contract?

One neat thing about the current iphone/ipad is that from the SMS interface - with other iphones/ipads - you can SMS multiple people at the same time (not a chat application) and they can reply to all, in other words you have multiple people conversing in one single SMS dialog. Use it at work every day.

Quick question slightly off topic. The unlimited refers to data, yeah? If one wanted a phone/data (unlimited) plan with AIS with two separate SIMs, phone and tablet, how much does that typically cost per month? Do you have to sign a contract?

One neat thing about the current iphone/ipad is that from the SMS interface - with other iphones/ipads - you can SMS multiple people at the same time (not a chat application) and they can reply to all, in other words you have multiple people conversing in one single SMS dialog. Use it at work every day.

I'm paying about 800 bht a month for an AIS unlimited plan, though in true Thai fashion it's not really unlimited at all. IIRC 3GB of 3G data per month then EDGE, 350 SMS per month and 20 MMS, then 300+ minutes of in Thailand talk time. I haven't seen the bill with the extra SIM on it yet so no idea what I'm actually paying per month for that. This is all reimbursable for me so I lose a little focus. :)

As for multiple SMSing I think there are several Android apps that do the same but most, like WhatsAp use data for the messaging rather than actual SMS. Obviously all users need to be using the same app.

What I can't get, or so it seems, is an SMS, or other messaging ap, that allows me to have the messages mirrored on 2 devices which is what I would have really liked.

Latest on this saga is that I sent back the first one on instructions from Samsung because they said it was a 'fault'.

Bought another identical model.

Same 'problem'. This time I decided that maybe its not a fault but something else. The likelyhood of getting two duds seemed unlikely.

Anyway, kept with it and after a number of trials etc I think I've nailed it. Not happy its like this but once its up and running there is no problems.

Basically the problem is that I need to switch on the tablet and the modem in a particular sequence. If the modem is on first and I then power up the tablet (after it has been fully powered down) the tablet sees the modem but doesn't seem to be able to connect.

However, if I power up the tablet first and set the wi fi to scan and then power up the modem then the tablet works fine.

I intend letting Samsung know of this 'kinky' set up because to me the tablet should be able to see and connect to the modem irrespective of when the modem is switched on.

Interesting problem and can't say I have seen anything similar. Do you have 3G capability in the tablet? What is the modem you are using? I have no difficulty if using my in-house WiFi/router/ADSL modem but sometimes have connectivity issues when tethering over Wi-Fi to my phone but I put that down to the phone and not the tablet.

Interesting problem and can't say I have seen anything similar. Do you have 3G capability in the tablet? What is the modem you are using? I have no difficulty if using my in-house WiFi/router/ADSL modem but sometimes have connectivity issues when tethering over Wi-Fi to my phone but I put that down to the phone and not the tablet.

No 3G I'm afraid.

Modem is a BT Voyager2110-11.

Tablet is acting up again this morning. I'm going to have to go through the sequences again and ask Samsung about it.

I think it has to be something to do with Samsung software. The Tablet scans and finds my router but doesn't seem to be able to connect under certain 'power on' conditions. It seems that its a timing out problem.

I don't want to get rid of the Tablet. Its a good size, I like it and once it get going its fine.

Archived