Top 10 Guitartists Of All Time

Steve

I always thought Robby Krieger from the Doors was a pretty accomplished and underrated guitarist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feJrgRRGa34

Kreiger was a good guitarist for his time. Much more interesting than many others of the period. His style was different and had soul. He was no shredder, but his guitar style fit the band perfectly. A perfect match to what they, the Doors, were playing and doing.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody has mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughn, definitely died before his time, or Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits yet, if you like a guy who uses his fingers instead of a pick. Sometimes, it isn't all technique, but feeling, a la Carlos Santana. Another guy I thought was worthy of mention was Roy Buchanan.

Carlos is an excellent guitarist with lots of emotion and feel for his play. I've always been a great fan of his playing. I also always have enjoyed Stevie Ray Vaughn's stuff. Love the 'Riviera Paradise' song/guitar work. Years ago I became hooked on the guitar style and playing of Robin Trower. Love that blues/rock he does. He had a smoother, less raw, Hendrix sound I always enjoyed. I had all his albums, and every one had at least one great song on it. 'Bridge of Sighs' though is still my favorite album by him/the band.

Others I enjoy are Al Dimeola, John McLaughlin (very technical player), Steve Vai (extreme guitar!) - song - 'In the name of God' is it? Awesome.), Yngwie Malmsteen, Leslie West (Mountain - Nantucket Sleigh Ride - great stuff). Many others. Got into jazz big time in the mid to late 70's. Loads of great guitarists in jazz. And got into latin stuff as well. Flamenco. Paco de Luca, etc.

Duane Allman, the kid from the Isley Brothers (he played with Hendrix for a bit when Hendrix played with them), Dickie Betts - (Allman Brothers), Robert Fripp (King Crimson), and I always loved what David Gilmour does for Pink Floyd. Richie Blackmoor, Tommie Iommi (Black Sabbath - missing the tips of a couple of playing hand fingers!). And Jeff Beck has always been one I enjoyed - His song 'Nadia' is haunting and other worldly. Beck's boogie, etc.

Loads of great guitarists out there to enjoy. And many I list I feel are as good or better than what this list shows.

And thanks guys, a lot of who you mentioned triggered some other guitarists I haven't listened to in years. And of course, Eddie Van Halen changed the way many guitarists these days play. Lots of great guitarists mentioned in the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived