3G Aircard Modem Running Youtube In Pattaya

gawguy

I'm bringing up the Aircard modem topic again after many months of using a ZTE 3G model with an AIS SIM.

Yesterday I heard an astounding claim from a Thai lady I've known for a few years but don't see very often.

She said she has a computer in her room and she has an aircard named "AIS 3G" AND

she can watch movies and her friend came over and was looking at youtube videos with no problems!! I think she lives around Central Pattaya Road up around Carrefore.

She's not the type to lie or exaggerate for no reason, so how can that be? She says there is no wire running into her computer and that she is just using the aircard.

My AIS reception is :

Ping = 536 ms Download = .15 Mbps Upload = .09 Mbps

It does email okay, T360 okay, plays short voice mail messages.

Is there real 3G in her area and not in my area? I live S Pattaya near TukCom.

WTF!?

Thanks...Gaw Guy

It may be an AIS 3G Aircard but she will be using a True Move SIM.

Very interesting! I know nothing about TM SIM.

She didn't mention anything expensive..aircard was 1200 baht. A TM SIM must be expensive, yes? Sounds like something that would require registration and would have to be bought directly from TM?

You can't just buy one at TukCom can you?

Could you fill in a few more details please. I might want this.

Thanks,

GG

It may be an AIS 3G Aircard but she will be using a True Move SIM.

After your response I txt'd to ask her exactly what she has and she txt'd back:

Air card AIS sim and inside AIS 1-2-Call.

Which brings me back to my original question: How can she be playing videos??

GG

...very sloooooooowly

I just tried Milan vs Barcelona on youtube, just to test. I got a minute of video in about 5-6 minutes watching the little scruggle go round and round. This isn't "slowly" .. more like "deadly."

The girl with the aircard said her girlfriend comes over to watch movies and youtube. Maybe movies actually means short videos, but still...well...not possible to sit thru that.

That's why I said "WTF is going on!?"

Is she in some little pocket of 3G reception in Pattaya?

It's too strange. I'm going to ask at TukCom

Is an aircard the same thing as a dongle ?

Yes and No.

DONGLE was originally used to define a security key. This is a little hardware device that plugs into the serial or USB port of a computer. Its purpose is to ensure that only authorized users can use certain software application. AIRCARD was initially used to define a device that was used with a Laptop via the PCMCIA port using 2G Networks (GPRS / EDGE).

Nowadays PCMCIA is mostly extinct on modern Laptops and AIRCARDS are connected via USB and the term DONGLE has been adapted (wrongly IMHO) to define a USB 2G / 3G AIRCARD.

To me a DONGLE is still a hardware security key but many people use it as the name of a USB AIRCARD and as such the term has become interchangeable amongst the majority of users.

I hope that answers your question

Archived