Photos From Daily Life In Thailand

think_too_mut

Depends on what you call up country, you wouldn't get much of a house for half a mill in the north.

The developers do basic houses for about 1,200,000... (could be out of date I haven't looked for a while) but you're looking out the window at your neighbour's washing in them.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on what you call up country, you wouldn't get much of a house for half a mill in the north.

The developers do basic houses for about 1,200,000... (could be out of date I haven't looked for a while) but you're looking out the window at your neighbour's washing in them.

My "upcountry" is Sa Kaew: Wang Nam Yen - Wang Sombun.

This house, next to wifes was on sale for 250K, land included. People were rumoring the owner would be happy with 170K. I guess 200sqm inside. Rural Thais woud move in straight away but for a farang to do it up inside could be 2-3 times the initial price. Toilets and bathroom were in plain concrete, more like torture chambers.

360_house250K.jpg

Who bought it? A policeman (rich at 6,500B a month), painted and renovated it and it was on sale again for 500K.

You used to be able to do that in the States. My parents had friends who would buy an older house and move into it. They would restore it and improve it in their spare time. After a year or two, they would sell it for a nice profit and buy another. They did that about four times, until the market started to tighten up. All they really did was paint, patch and wallpaper, and a little cosmetics was all it took to find a buyer.

everyday life is of course also about housing.

I'd say in bkk suburbs no more than half of the price goes to the land probably only 1/4. one dont get much of a house built for 2 or even 4mill. these days. I'm talking of course 2. levels. 3-4 bedrooms. 2-3 bathrooms. balcony. nice materials. a/c's etc. 1/4 - 1/5 rai as in a 'standard' house can be had for a few mill or 3. the rest upto 5-6-7M is the building :)

Nice house upcountry for a mere 500k ROTFL :snowlaugh

Nice pics.Good for those of us who are temporarily detained in Farangland.How I miss the smell of "Balar" :snowlaugh

I think many expats, myself included, become accustomed to the sights, sounds and smells of Bangkok along with SE Asia in general, and take them for granted since they become the norm.

I think many expats, myself included, become accustomed to the sights, sounds and smells of Bangkok along with SE Asia in general, and take them for granted since they become the norm.

One of the norms, most common and hardly noticable : eating with spoon and fork.

This happened at home when my family came to Japan. Had it been in public, other kids or even people would giggle at how Thais eat cakes:

360_spoon.jpg

Archived