Photos From Daily Life In Thailand

think_too_mut

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the lady who cuts my hair in LA is from Bangkok. I ferry over stuff for the family on every trip. Her brother worked in a factory for the vast majority of his life and sculpted on the side. One day he sold a piece. Two months later he quit his job (in his 50s) and has subsisted on his artwork ever since.

He originally studied under a guy named Ping who lives in Nonthaburi. Ping does work for temples from Chiang Mai to BKK. One day we spent at Ping's workshop. It was on that day I knew that next time I came to Thailand, it wouldn't be on a 3 week tourist stint. Fuck no thank you very much.

6471003761_02fdaa4774_b.jpg

good pix

yes good pix.

i remember on a day-trip to the River Kwai stopping off at one of those typical tourist traps which dealt with carvings.

interesting to watch men and women of all ages carving the most intricate designs.

small,middle size and huge sculptures of elephants which dwarfed me.

an interesting spot to visit for an hour or so.

yes good pix.

i remember on a day-trip to the River Kwai stopping off at one of those typical tourist traps which dealt with carvings.

interesting to watch men and women of all ages carving the most intricate designs.

small,middle size and huge sculptures of elephants which dwarfed me.

an interesting spot to visit for an hour or so.

Trust me SJ, this wasn't tourist stuff. Ping works alone on commission and spends weeks/months on a single piece. The day were were there he spent his time molding clay in that first piece for just a corner. I don't understand the whole process, but the patience and skill involved left a distinct impression. I almost felt embarrassed to be there. The bar combing tourist who in reality hasn't even scratched the surface of the life going on around me. I am, and was, a poser.

Working on that.

Take care.

I taught for 5 years at the University of Fine Arts, a fascinating experience. The art students were unbelievably talented - only 60 art majors nationwide were admitted each year. I used to stare in amazement at what they could do.

They had studied at special secondary schools and taken far less English than other students. Still, they had to pass 2 years of English to graduate. Every year some of them failed to complete their studies.

The Thai lecturers would fail the art majors even though the students never missed class and were trying their best. I never failed anyone who really tried. I told the art majors (in Thai) that if they came all the time and did the work, I'd give them at least a D (which was passing for them). They worked their butts off for me and I gave quite a few C's and even a B or two. The older Thai archans said I was "too easy" on them. WTF? I bet there are some Silpakorn Uni graduates out there who wouldn't have made it through if they hadn't been in my classes.

Now back to the topic ...

Trust me SJ, this wasn't tourist stuff. Ping works alone on commission and spends weeks/months on a single piece. The day were were there he spent his time molding clay in that first piece for just a corner.

no problem Dave.

i was'nt decrying this fella's skills and that it is his living.

i was just remarking on watching people doing the carvings and wishing i had that sort of skill.

Archived