Photos From Daily Life In Thailand

think_too_mut

Japan, with 1.3 million arrivals into Thailand is the single most important tourist market for Thai. Oz arrivals are ~350K.

Thai Festivals are held in major Japanese cities, this is Tokyo. Been there once.

360_tfood05.jpg

How many people? Tens of thousands, hardly possible to move around.

Now you see why I went there only once although it was 10 mins walk from my Tokyo home:

360_tfood06.jpg

360_tfood07.jpg

360_tfood08.jpg

Cooking and serving

360_tfood02.jpg

There is even a katoey show demo. I think it was "Tiffany" venue from Pattaya :

360_tfood03.jpg

360_tfood04.jpg

This guy has some axe to grind. Don't know what happened to him, asked and he let me take a photo:

360_tfood01.jpg

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our old home (Sukhumvit +, Phrakhanong).

If you have this, just a lift ride from your place

360_bazen01.jpg

then small wonder we can swim and go deep when we are 3 years old:

360_bazen02.jpg

The moral of the story: at Japanese prices, filling up this pool with water would be about half a million baht. Then, that water has to be treated and conditioned, electricity and more cost. Nobody has things like this in Japan.

You can be whatever you want in Japan, you would not have that kind of comfort and convenience.

So, you guys living in Thai, take a note, be happy and enjoy what much richer places than Thai can not afford and can only dream about.

Not to be completely on the losing side, our new home in BKK has a pool 10 times bigger. That is where my family goes 2 months a year, for holidays and to maintain 3-lingual skills of our daughter.

The moral of the story: at Japanese prices, filling up this pool with water would be about half a million baht. Then, that water has to be treated and conditioned, electricity and more cost. Nobody has things like this in Japan.

You can be whatever you want in Japan, you would not have that kind of comfort and convenience.

So, you guys living in Thai, take a note, be happy and enjoy what much richer places than Thai can not afford and can only dream about.

Not to be completely on the losing side, our new home in BKK has a pool 10 times bigger. That is where my family goes 2 months a year, for holidays and to maintain 3-lingual skills of our daughter.

thumbup.gif Pools are rare in Germany as, outside pools anyway.

thumbup.gif Pools are rare in Germany as well, especially in the major cities.

Jindapong school, Bangkok, my daughter was attending there for 2 years.

About this time of the year, the monks come in, the kids prepare presents for them (non-perishable food):

In their shafran robes, surprisingly from a compact camera, this photo was ok, even nice:

360_monks02.jpg

This one less good but shows what is happening:

360_monks05.jpg

And, today, it's His Majesty the King's Birthday.

Came about midnight from work, my daughter well asleep, had writen a card for me, congratulating me "My Day".

Among many things I like about Thai, is their respect for the Royal Family and that my daughter treasures that.

Moreover, she has decorated 2 Xmas trees, one for our living room, one for hers.

And we still go 31. December to a Budhist Temple, 1 hour later to a Shinto one. Japanese practice for Year end.

Even more: celebrating Wstern Christmas, she knows my Ortodox Xmas is Jan 7th and the decorated trees remain until then.

Though a mix of Protestant and RC, my family always kept up the tree and lights until 12th Night (Epiphany). It irritates the hell out of me in the States that the effing merchants are trying to count the 12 days of Christmas as being the 12 days BEFORE it. Also, the yuppie prats put up their trees around Thanksgiving and take them down on Christmas day. WTF? Drive around town on the 26th and discarded trees are all out in the rubbish. We compromise at home to the extent that we stop lighting the electric candles in the windows a few days after Christmas, but light them again for NYC and one last time on 6 January. Obama is right. The US isn't a Christian country any more. It is a land of money worshipping ignorant heathens who occasionally pretend to be Christian.

End of rant. :elf:

Though a mix of Protestant and RC, my family always kept up the tree and lights until 12th Night (Epiphany). It irritates the hell out of me in the States that the effing merchants are trying to count the 12 days of Christmas as being the 12 days BEFORE it. Also, the yuppie prats put up their trees around Thanksgiving and take them down on Christmas day. WTF? Drive around town on the 26th and discarded trees are all out in the rubbish. We compromise at home to the extent that we stop lighting the electric candles in the windows a few days after Christmas, but light them again for NYC and one last time on 6 January. Obama is right. The US isn't a Christian country any more. It is a land of money worshipping ignorant heathens who occasionally pretend to be Christian.

Your rant may be in place. For someone coming from a culture allienated to Asia.

Mine is simple. Respect Asian values, family and all that. Fuck the democracy, as Burma has just shown. And got Clinton to somehow endorse something, that US dummy knows a shit about Asia.

As if anyone gives a fuck about America anywhere anymore.

There is rampant individualism that is killing the West. They think (still) that's the way to go.

The West is failing day in day out. The blackberry clad criminals from the Wall street (60% had MBA) have caused all the trouble. Now Europe and their shit.

The West is losing respect, nobody in Asia believes them anything.

have to agree with your rant.

xmas goods on sale in the uk from mid november..... :doah:

i don't understand the need to buy decorations every year,my family have had the same decorations for 20 odd years and are looked after and still look good when displayed.

i find modern decorations look tacky and over the top.

actually visited a place yesterday which was all geared up for xmas and the stuff on sale made me wince.... :barf:

my mum likes xmas and likes to deck the whole house from top to bottom in all the finery but i try and steer clear of it all.

i bought 2 black artificial trees a few years ago and they look much more wonderful then a traditional one.

but visitors are shocked when they see them as they are used to the green ones.....boring.

thankfully i will be away this year and will miss all the crap which happens at home.

i'm a person who hates turkey dinners/xmas pudding and mince pies so will avoid that crap. :barf:

but i know at the end of january all the easter stuff will be on sale.......... :nono::angry::cussing:

I have a little wreath a Thai colleague gave me a few years ago. I stick that on the door and that's decoration. At home my family has used the same decorations since I was a kid. Some of them are from my mother's time. We've used an artificial tree for decades. It is always upsetting to see the Christmas tree sales lots half full after Christmas, knowing all those trees are going in the rubbish.

This year I see I will actually have Christmas day off ... it's a Sunday. As often as not, I end up working.

To me religion is a private thing. I never talk about my beliefs (or disbeliefs) in public, and I get annoyed by people who do insist on shoving theirs in your face. Nowadays it seems the militant atheists are as bad as the evangelicals. If I want to know what someone believes, I'll ask. Otherwise, fark off.

To me religion is a private thing. I never talk about my beliefs (or disbeliefs) in public, and I get annoyed by people who do insist on shoving theirs in your face. Nowadays it seems the militant atheists are as bad as the evangelicals. If I want to know what someone believes, I'll ask. Otherwise, fark off.

You must be suffering, badly, in Thailand then.

There is hardly a place in the world, not even Iran or Vatican, where one's religion is thrown in your face as it is in Thailand. At a massive scale at that.

Not that you opinion is wrong or debatable, it's just odd that you are airing it from the most inappropriate place on earth.

Archived