Photos From Daily Life In Thailand

think_too_mut

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buddhism is a philosophy, not a religion.

Ah, that must be it.

Those Isaan peasants driving taxis when there is nothing to do upcountry are the most exposed ones with cars decorated that with no doubt you can tell what his religion is.

Pity my Thai is as bad as their English, we could have held great conversations on phylosophical subjects.

What a phylosophic country Thailand must be then.

Those calling Thailand "Iran of Buddhism" should take a note of that.

I have a little wreath a Thai colleague gave me a few years ago. I stick that on the door and that's decoration. At home my family has used the same decorations since I was a kid. Some of them are from my mother's time. We've used an artificial tree for decades. It is always upsetting to see the Christmas tree sales lots half full after Christmas, knowing all those trees are going in the rubbish.

This year I see I will actually have Christmas day off ... it's a Sunday. As often as not, I end up working.

To me religion is a private thing. I never talk about my beliefs (or disbeliefs) in public, and I get annoyed by people who do insist on shoving theirs in your face. Nowadays it seems the militant atheists are as bad as the evangelicals. If I want to know what someone believes, I'll ask. Otherwise, fark off.

when i saw all the christmas stuff yesterday i was in a big garden centre and while it was decorated very nicely and had a petting zoo for the kids with donkeys/piglets and lambs.

it looked very festive but i had to laugh as i left.

they were selling a self assembly WALK-IN greenhouse.

what the fuck are you suppossed to if you can't walk into it?.

crawl into it on your hands and knees........ :dunno:

...they were selling a self assembly WALK-IN greenhouse.

what the fuck are you suppossed to if you can't walk into it?.

crawl into it on your hands and knees........ :dunno:

More to the point how can it assemble itself? :dunno:

Many moons ago I bought a self assembly wardrobe. I took it home, laid it on the bedroom floor, waited for 5 hours and fuck all happened?! hairpull.gif

Mind you I did buy it from MFI, which I later discovered stands for "Made for Fucking Idiots". headsmack.gif

More to the point how can it assemble itself? :dunno:

Many moons ago I bought a self assembly wardrobe. I took it home, laid it on the bedroom floor, waited for 5 hours and fuck all happened?! hairpull.gif

Mind you I did buy it from MFI, which I later discovered stands for "Made for Fucking Idiots". headsmack.gif

at least MFI seems to be better then IKEA.

my cheap MFI bookcases and cupboards heve held up rather well over the years whilst the IKEA stuff seems to fall apart quickly according to friends.

Ah, that must be it.

Those Isaan peasants driving taxis when there is nothing to do upcountry are the most exposed ones with cars decorated that with no doubt you can tell what his religion is.

Pity my Thai is as bad as their English, we could have held great conversations on phylosophical subjects.

What a phylosophic country Thailand must be then.

Those calling Thailand "Iran of Buddhism" should take a note of that.

I've ridden in a fair number of Bangkok taxis with Islamic crescents and quotations from the Qu'ran posted in them. Once I saw a BMTA bus driver had the same thing. I actually like riding with the Thai Muslim taxi drivers, since I can get into interesting discussions with them. Just bring up Thaksin and listen to them rant and rave. They hate the SOB and with good reason.

My wife said to me, "My friends ask if we don't have any religious conflicts. I told them you never go to church and I never go to the wat."

I've found Buddhists to be much more accommodating of Christians rather than vice versa. Plus they don't have to sit through weekly sermons instilling fear of eternal suffering and suspicions of 'others.'

It wasn't until this last trip that I learned that the triangular indentations in the interior roofs of the taxis were literal blessings performed by monks. Kinda neat, but I didn't feel much safer. :)

Friend's home in Nonthaburi:

6470958139_197b6d8c94_z.jpg

this one is BTS Zen: :)

6470986887_6375f08814_z.jpg

Archived