Photos From Daily Life In Thailand

think_too_mut

Home made? Hard enough to get good Thai dishes in the US. Restaurants cut corners and tone everything down to what folks who have never been to Thailand think Thai food should taste like.

I have two great but small restaurants in walking distance of my house. Tourists would look at them and walk right by, but the cooks (one from Phitsanulok and one from Ubon) are fantastic.

Quite opposite here. If you know that the ingredients are available (if available to me, Thai restaurants surely have better sources), that chefs are native Thais and that quality control is one of the highest in the world, it is not hard to understand why Thai food in Japan is better than in Thailand itself. What an average restaurant here offers, you would have to go to top notch one in Thailand to match.

Pad thai:

360_padthai1.jpg

Whole set, this is some 15$. Small soup, small papaya salad, prawn fingers, glass nooddle seafood salad:

360_padthai3.jpg

Same with fried rice as main:

360_padthai2.jpg

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope to be in Japan next spring and it would be great, if you could recommend some Thai restaurants! beer.gif

They come and go, 4-5 I frequented around Shinjuku where I lived do not exist any more. I would need someone to tell me where new ones are.

The pictures of food in my previous post were from Nagoya.

Generally, other than those underground at train stations (similar to what you get at food court at Lotus), they are usually the same quality level as that one at the Emporium, Floor 5 I think, in the middle of the floor.

Thai food does not go high in prices, I have never seen a classy Thai restaurant in Japan. Well presented yes but nothing in marble and drapes.

Although, a full plate of somtum goes 300-400THB (1,200-1,500Y) to the horror of people upcountry who said, should need be, they could live whole week entire family on that single meal money.

I do like a good pad thai. :up:

There was a street vendor with a pad thai trolley on Cowboy last December and it wasn't half bad, particularly at 1 o'clock in the morning. :drunk:

I keep on forgetting to add. Thai food in Japan is somewhat sissyfied. Wherever possible, chillies are kept separately and enclosed in a small container. In the picture the chillies are kept aside.

Where not possible, like krapao gai or tom yum goong which are nothing without at least some chillies, they ask you for level of spicyness you want, from 1 to 5. It is a standard thing in Japan, whatever the meal or country (Korean, Vietnamese, Lao...) they all keep it same somehow and no chance that yesterday's 3 at Korean kills you today in Thai restaurant.

I have 2 Thai restaurants near my office, it happened once that we all ordered krapao gai and my colleagues just repeated "same as him" and level 3 of spicyness made 2 of them burst into sweat and not finish their meal.

One dish that seems to have disappeared in Bangkok is a good stuffed omelet (khai yat sai). In the 1970s and early '80s, it was a meal in itself. The omelet was filled with various veggies and maybe a bit of pork, Nowadays you usually get an omelet stuffed with ground meat, a bit of onion and tomato sauce. Maybe you can find a real one still in Japan.

Suk Soi 3/1, just off Suk, there is a little covered patio with about five or six street vendor carts pretty much permanently installed. One of them does shrimp or seafood pad Thai, and they do it WELL. Inexpensive, VERY tasty lunch, or late night munch. I learned about the place when a certain cutie wanted to get something to eat before going to the hotel, and it has been one of my regular stops ever since.

Archived