Photos From Daily Life In Thailand

think_too_mut

Went about 3 days straight eating nothing but street food on the last trip. Som Tom, Tom Yum, Yum Woon Sen were easy. It was the other dishes that were difficult as I didn't know what they were called. Did alright by pointing and saying 'yeah'. Adding in 'ped' whenever possible. Still need to learn the proper names and pronunciation. Finally the diarrhea forced me to imbibe some more earthy stuff.

In LA there's a large Thai community and hundreds of Thai restaurants. 'Thai Town' (part of hollywood) is a few miles from my apartment in Koreatown (mid wilshire) -- but even there the food is 'sissyfied' compared to what you find on the street in Bangkok. Nothing prepared me for the first time I had Som Tom in Bangkok and started crying, then I went to wipe my eyes and there was chili residue on my fingers and it burned. BURNED. Had to go to the restroom and flush the eyes.

Beautiful. Also just had my first experience with Pad Ga Prow with the fried egg on top. Thai food is a many splendored thing.

Japanese food is too bland. Sushi and Sashimi = good. They do some interesting things with Ramen, but never cared for the curry dishes or the Yaki Soba and most of the other stuff.

Now Koreans OTOH, they know how to do it right too. :)

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing like a bit of chilli on the eyeball.

It pays to wash hands BEFORE pissing after handling chilli as well. :surprised:

i like to eat the freshy cooked satays after a night out,good for eating while walking back to the hotel.

i remember once accidently eating a chilli,which did'nt agree with me.

my mouth was on fire and i was being sick but the 2 girls i was with force=fed me milk and it was so soothing and i was soon back to normal.

Japanese food is too bland. Sushi and Sashimi = good. They do some interesting things with Ramen, but never cared for the curry dishes or the Yaki Soba and most of the other stuff.

If you really prefer spicy food, than Japanese food is in fact nothing for you.

Anyway Ramen and Yaki Soba are the most cheap Japanese food. Its traditional Japanese fast food for the poor. Sushi and Sashimi are only a small part of the Japanese kitchen which I ate usually just 1-2 times a month- and Kaiten Suhsi - the restaurants were you sit at a conveyor belt - is the cheapest Shushi in Japan.

The problem is that only a fraction of Japanese food is available outside the country and most times it doesn't neither have quality of the original Japanese food nor does it follow the original receipts.

Like Thai food Japanese food must be very fresh and Japanese are crazy about food. For example compared to Germany you'll find 10 times more restaurants in Japanese cities and it is no wonder that today Tokyo is the city with the most 3 star restaurants - and the foreign the restaurant critics have never ventured outside the Japanese capital...

Ocean World, next to Siam Paragon.

A side show, this car, a Chevy, was turned into an aquarium. Full of water and fish, not a drop could be seen outside.

360_chevy1.jpg

360_chevy2.jpg

Even when GM was in bankrupcy, their Rayong factory could not produce as many cars as could be sold. A colleague who looks after IT support for GM, told me there was no understanding why the HQ is having so manu problems back in 2008 and 2009. Their cars were going like hot cakes in Asia.

Koh Samet, Hat Sa Kaew.

White sands, warm blue sea, clear skies, beachfront restaurants...and a motherfucker revving a jetski.

360_jetski.jpg

Probably the least necessary of all things ever made, used here just to ruin the nature with fumes, noise and possibly injuring someone. Sometimes I am feeling that scams the renters run against the users are justified.

Archived