Fun Old Thread (From The Old Delphi Board)

expat

Not sure about the 'Fun' part - I guess you are being sarcastic - but even if its an urban myth it makes for tough reading. Sure, crap like that can happen in any country - happened in Adelaide last night - but the kicker in the 2000 story is that the murderer appears to have gotten away. Not so in Adelaide - he saved the taxpayer a lot of money.

http://www.news.com.au/national/man-fatally-shot-at-walkley-heights/story-e6frfkvr-1226209367602

A NEIGHBOUR has spoken of her horror after a 16-year-old was gunned down and killed by a former boyfriend in an Adelaide street last night.

Kathy Hawkes tried to keep the teenage victim alive after the tragedy, which happened near a bus stop at the corner of RM Williams Drive and Blacksmith Ave, Walkley Heights.

Mrs Hawkes told AdelaideNow she ran to her front yard when she heard two gun shots about 6.20pm.

Just 50m away the teenage girl lay on the footpath. "Nobody came. I was just trying to do what I could. When I rolled her over ... she didn't look good."

Police said the girl was rushed to Royal Adelaide Hospital in a critical condition, but died a short time later after surgery.

The gunman - a 22-year-old former boyfriend - stood with a sawn-off shotgun threatening to kill himself.

"He looked over towards me, I tried to say don't do it... then he did," Mrs Hawkes said.

He died at the scene from self-inflicted wounds

I seem to recall a lot of skepticism when it was posted.

We did have a fine tradition of storytellers on the board, though - usually it was carnal adventures, but occasionally it was something more along the above lines.

Back in 2008, I picked up a book written by some crazy expat where he repeated a number of Farang urban myths as 'fact' - didn't know whether to laugh or cry, but clearly he felt his audience where every bit as dumb as the girls like to believe. My favourite tales always had the Farang somehow turning the tables on the local (corrupt) constabulary, but a few of the grimmer 'warnings' ended in murder. The clincher was that it looked like a very light-hearted take on Thai-Farang 'romance' from the cover, but the content was dredged from the nastiest corners of various expat-dominated boards, and virtually everything was a 'cautionary tale'. I'm not denying that a lot of this stuff has a basis in real events, but to trot these old stand-bys out as gospel is laughable.

(as an aside, I was in Thailand in 2008 when the Japanese guy went nutso and killed his Soi 4 sweetheart and himself : this has undoubtedly been embellished by countless sources over the years. Grist for the mill, I guess)

Archived