Tai Pan Hotel

PP

Really...up and down...that's a good feature. :cover:

MM, if he would've said that two lifts run up, you would've retorted "really, they just go up, and not down?" -- can't win. :cover:

Kamui referenced the Darjelling -- that used to be my favorite hotel in BKK, just walk outside to the Asoke BTS/MRT, with these kinda art deco rooms. BUT, I have noticed a little decline there. Last trip (nov) was all new staff and I noticed mold in nooks of the shower, plus now when they clean your room they use heavy scented air freshener (to cover up the other smells?). I didn't like that. Don't get me wrong, still a good value and from a surface glance a nice place.

BUT - stayed the last week this time at Hotel Solo on Suk 2 (recommended by Tim, and he was freakin right), and that's the spot from now on. They put a lot of effort into the maintenance of this place and the rooms are nice. My mate staying at the Marriott saw the room and promptly cancelled his reservation there and moved (to the Solo). At about $1500 baht per night it's a good value for the amount spent.

It's not as close to Asoke, but that's my recommendation (and place I'll stay if needing a hotel in BKK). Very good experience. And btw - thanks Tim for the heads up on that.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d1739492-Reviews-Hotel_Solo_Sukhumvit_2-Bangkok.html

MM, if he would've said that two lifts run up, you would've retorted "really, they just go up, and not down?" -- can't win. :cover:

I was just taking the piss, however I think most of us know that lifts go up and down so no need to mention it really. Would have been better to have said that the "hotels 16 floors were serviced by 2 lifts". After all it wasn't just a quick post response, it's meant to be a proper review of a hotel and hence a bit more thought given to the narrative would be appropriate. JMHO of course. :biggrin:

Kamui referenced the Darjelling -- that used to be my favorite hotel in BKK, just walk outside to the Asoke BTS/MRT, with these kinda art deco rooms. BUT, I have noticed a little decline there. Last trip (nov) was all new staff and I noticed mold in nooks of the shower, plus now when they clean your room they use heavy scented air freshener (to cover up the other smells?). I didn't like that. Don't get me wrong, still a good value and from a surface glance a nice place.

BUT - stayed the last week this time at Hotel Solo on Suk 2 (recommended by Tim, and he was freakin right), and that's the spot from now on. They put a lot of effort into the maintenance of this place and the rooms are nice. My mate staying at the Marriott saw the room and promptly cancelled his reservation there and moved (to the Solo). At about $1500 baht per night it's a good value for the amount spent.

It's not as close to Asoke, but that's my recommendation (and place I'll stay if needing a hotel in BKK). Very good experience. And btw - thanks Tim for the heads up on that.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d1739492-Reviews-Hotel_Solo_Sukhumvit_2-Bangkok.html

Dave32,

Great to hear you liked Solo Suk 2. I was glad to hear you liked it. The new In Residence Sukhumvit is the one to try next time. Highly recommended.

Tim

Archived