Getting Your Affairs In Order

zen4dummies

Since marrying a Thai and becoming a part of an immediate and extended Thai family I find myself becoming more serious about my future and their future also. I ran across the attached document and thought others may find it useful. Family_Prep.pdf

zen

Zen

As an individual currently going through a divorce in Thailand the document you attached is inadmissible in Thai Courts

Thai Marriage Laws is more relevant especially when it comes to Sin Suan Tuan (Personal Assets Before Register Marriage) and Sin Somros (Joint Marital Assets). Sin Suan Tuan and any Pre-Nuptuals have to be noted on the Marriage Certificate signed by both parties and witnessed by two independent witnesses.

Thanks for that link, Mekong. I have bookmarked it.

zen4dummies, thanks for the link, also. Mekong--I doubt the pdf was intended as a legal document. I think it is more for a person who is in a very secure situation and wants to make it as easy as possible for his family after he/she dies.

Expat,

I fully agree that Zen's list is an invaluable "Go By" for anybody considering entering into matrimony and would make accountability of assets easier to trace in the unfortunate event of either Spouse passing away, but under Thai law it has to be used in conjunction with Thai regulations.

It's a minefield

....is more relevant especially when it comes to Sin Suan Tuan (Personal Assets Before Register Marriage) and Sin Somros (Joint Marital Assets). Sin Suan Tuan and any Pre-Nuptuals have to be noted on the Marriage Certificate signed by both parties and witnessed by two independent witnesses.

Actually, "Sin Suan Tuan" is pronounced as

"Sin Suan Tua" without an "n".

สินส่วนตัว

Sin Somros (Joint Marital Assets)= สินสมรส

GTG

Actually, "Sin Suan Tuan" is pronounced as

"Sin Suan Tua" without an "n".

สินส่วนตัว

Sin Somros (Joint Marital Assets)= สินสมรส

GTG

I seem to remember you being wrong before about Thai / English spelling before - should we track down the photos in those old posts? Or maybe not give advice on how to spell?

Sin Suan tour ( private assets ) are not taken into consideration in a divorce,so the Thai system is potentially much better (for the foreigner) in the case of a rich foreigner marrying a Thai.

Incorrect.

If Thai Spouse owns her own property before marriage it is Sin Suan Tua, but if she sells said property and uses the proceeds as part payment towards a marital property with her spouse the said Marital property is Sin Somros.

Section 1474 – Sin Somros consists of:

(1) property acquired during marriage;

(2) property acquired by either spouse during marriage through a will or gift made in writing if it is declared by such will or document of gift to be Sin Somros; and

(3) fruits of Sin Suan Tua.

In case of doubt as to whether a property is Sin Somros or not it shall be presumed to be Sin Somros.

Archived