Wireless Modems

Hamokhamok

Is any one wireless modem any better than another?

I'm trying to improve the speed on my wi fi signal and was wondering if a different modem would be any benefit.

I'm probably wrong in my assumptions but would appreciate your imput.

Some modems do get better throughput, you'd need to read a bunch of comparative reviews to see just which ones are good but most of the good 'name' brands do okay. First though you need to be sure your signal is a strong as it can be. Move the modem to different locations and/or change the antenna configuration to see if that helps. Is the Wi-Fi access speed much worse than say a wired connection to the same modem?

Another tip is to try the wireless modem using different channels. If a nearby WiFi router is set to same channel as yours that will cause deterioration of your signal.

Also buy an 802.11n router / Modem

That's a great tip, and further, since most devices ship with the channel set to the standard default of 6 and few if any people ever change that then choose either channel 1 or 11 since these 2 channels do not overlap with 6.

Another tip is to try the wireless modem using different channels. If a nearby WiFi router is set to same channel as yours that will cause deterioration of your signal.

Also buy an 802.11n router / Modem

Thanks for those suggestions. I've changed the channel number from 7 to 1. My next door neighbours modem was showing up as channel 11 (locked).

My modem is a BT Voyager 2110 Wireless ADSL.

Its located under an enclosed stairs approximately 20 feet between the modem and the back of my PC (2 doors and a wall intervene).

Some modems do get better throughput, you'd need to read a bunch of comparative reviews to see just which ones are good but most of the good 'name' brands do okay. First though you need to be sure your signal is a strong as it can be. Move the modem to different locations and/or change the antenna configuration to see if that helps. Is the Wi-Fi access speed much worse than say a wired connection to the same modem?

Have done three tests and the average of the three is 4383 kbps download and 335 kbps upload.

I have a Home Network with a PC - running Windows 7 Ultimate, and a Laptop - running Windows Vista - both using a WiFi connection to the TOT Router.

How do I go about checking / changing the Channels these 2 Computers use?

Many thanks!

Paul

You'll have to access the router to check/change the channel. It is usually by entering the router's address in your browser. Check the router manual.

Archived