Making The Big Move

zeitgeist

Soon to make the big move out to Thailand (for good...hopefully) and was wondering if anyone has any good advice. Work is sorted so visa renewal/work permit should be ok. I'm sure I can work out the forms if required but worried I may be forgetting something...

I know I'll need the following so tips would be nice:

Health insurance - I know I'll need this but have little idea of cost/requirements. I assume its a matter of 'get the best you can afford' just wondering what is cheap/expensive and if anyone has reccommendations.

Broadband - reliability and speed are the most important, not cost. Who do you reccommend? What speed is available?

Been so busy stopping/starting things this end, I'm sure there is obvious things I'm missing.

Thanks

Z

For Health Insurance, one reasonably good plan is BUPA - Platinum Plan - http://www.bupa.co.th/bupa_cms/en/product_comprehensive_detail.aspx

Depending on your age, it will probably cost you about 60,000 baht per year.

Others on the board may have direct experience with BUPA Thailand - I do not have any direct experience.

As far as broad band goes, it depends a lot on exactly where you will be living. There are several base telephone providers, and when you select a phone carrier, that tends to define which ADSL service alternatives are open to you. I.e. if you get a True telephone line, then you can get True ADSL. That is what I use - living in Prakhanong - and also at my business, on Soi Asok. But - there are places in Bangkok where no additional True telephone lines are available.

Cheers!

SS

SS - believe your figure is 2 to 3 times HIGHER than actual for decent health insurance with BUPA.

I pay 23k per year for a good plan, more focused on major medical/inpatient than outpatient - and pay the dreaded BMI surcharge too!

Search on this site, I remember someone (me maybe) put up the BUPA tariff a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no good plan.

Get something cheap, one those policies that would cover major accidents and unlikely ailments.

Anything else, you would have to pay first 2,000B which means you always pay and never get anything back.

There is nothing above 2,000B for usual needs.

Just to clarify my position, I have a worldwide coverage, 1,200$ a month (my company pays), that same thing with BUPA would be 1,800$ a month (yes, a month)in Thailand. Worthless, I would have never paid that.

Archived