The Usual Questions....

Redbaron

Morning all,

It's been a while since my last visit to Thailand, and reading the board and talking to people, it looks like things have changed.... hopefully for the better, though many often say, "Should have been here 10 years ago!" - well, I was and it was great. :patty:

Cash vs TC's vs ATM's - Every other time I've visited the ATM's were the way to go, but on occasion I noticed they only worked during Australian Opening hours.. Strange I know but I was with a pretty obscure bank at the time, now with ING... To be honest, I can't be bothered with TC's and will likely bring some cash with me but.... do the ATM's all work?? Also I will be making a few purchases, (Camera gear likely) - is it "safe" to use a visa card at these shops? Or will I get ripped off? :dunno:

Passports - From memory, last time farangs were "supposed to" carry the old passport at all times, but a photocopy was generally enough. I got my new passport the other week, and with the new chip thingy in it, it recommends not to bend the thing... Having it in the back pocket (especially while perched on a bar stool, motorbike, elephant, tiger....) will likely not be a good idea? :unsure:

7% VAT refund - is this available at Phuket airport (where I'm flying home from?)

On the plane - With all the new security reg's can I carry a lighter? What about canned deodorant? Should I expect a cavaty search?? :hubbahubba:

In the bars - Is Smoking banned outright? Should I use this trip as an excuse to get off those dreadful cigg's? :yikes:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to catching up with whoever turns out to the Friday meetings... Los Cabos near Cowboy right?

Re: other members... Is it true Flash was in the US Civil War along with Flashman? (On my to read list now, thanks!) :tophat:

Is it true DS/DC has shagged ALL the girls? Or just the ugly ones? :spank:

KS - Still on the pepsi's? Y'know that stuff's bad for you! :surprised:

Looking forward to it - thanks guys.....

Has been a bit slim on the turnout for the Friday meet up.

ddDave is often around and some of the other usual suspects.

Depends on where I am working will determine if I will be able

to show up. Lately, it has been a no go for me as I have been

in Samut Sakorn and the drive back gets me to BKK 8-ish :dunno:

<< What about canned deodorant? Should I expect a cavaty search?? >>

Keep your deodorant in your carry on bag. It makes the flight a lot more comfortable.

You should see X-rays from the ER. People (mostly men) do interesting things with deodorant cans, coke bottles, and then... they get stuck. Not a good thing.

Red - quick, subjective, input:

CC - used mine everywhere, including a couple cash advances from ATMs (considering all the fees I'll be charged, not the wisest choice). YMMV. Had no problem with my bank's ATM card at any ATM. They really scrutinize 100 dollar bills now and I had a couple rejected from one exchange - walked across the street to another to have them accepted. Also, I believe there's an ATM at ASOKE that will eliminate the withdrawal fee from the Thai end.

Passport - obviously need it for flight, immigration. Also to check into hotel. Other than that never ever carried it out in public (I lose everything). Never had a problem in BKK, CNX, or Pattaya being out and about without it.

Lighter - carried one in my carry on backpack. Went through two security checks in Hong Kong going back to the US and they pulled it out, put it back in the bag and sent me on. YMMV.

Smoking - If you go into Country Road on cowboy there's a big sign by the pool tables that says smoking is not permitted and blah blah blah. I told them I was going outside to smoke - the response I got was 'why?' and they promptly brought ashtray. Looked around and several other people were smoking. Almost every place in Nana you can smoke. Most places in Cowboy too, but not all. Tilac you have to go outside. Baccara I'm not sure. Same with long gun. YMMV.

Have a nice trip.

Plenty of ATMs, I have no choice but to use them so ignore the fees from my bank and use AEON which doesn't charge the 150B Thai bank fee.

Good luck finding one, usually in shopping malls.

I never pay for anything with a card, I draw out the cash or change foreign currency but cannot see why it wouldn't be safe in a reputable shop. Providing, of course, that they would accept a foreign card.

To be honest I'd buy camera and other electronic gear in Australia, places like Harvey Norman and JB Hifi have better deals than here. Claim the GST back when you leave Australia.. 10%.

Carry a copy of your passport if you like, I've only ever been asked for mine when driving in the northern border areas, and not very often either. The worse part about carrying them is they wear out, when I lived in Vientiane the bar-code wore off.

You may need to book ahead for a cavity search, there's usually a line up for it at the airport... (Mainly Arabs). B)

... Baccara I'm not sure. Same with long gun. YMMV.

Have a nice trip.

Baccara you can smoke upstairs but not downstairs.

When I flew through Manila in NOV coming back from LOS the security guys at the airport took my "Tahitian Queen" lighter (!) - I think they maybe just wanted it :-)

I've successfully used my ATM in both Bangers and Pattaya for many years now, however the trip before last I learned I had better start letting my banks and credit card companies know the dates I'll be overseas otherwise they often won't honor charges / withdrawls coming from overseas (which did happen to me). So I'd suggest letting all your banks / CC companies know the dates you'll be in Thailand. [my bank told me upon return that previous trip that thanks to all the rampart and growing fraud more and more financial institutions are insisting on advance "travel alerts" from their customers going overseas]

If you hit Pattaya pretty much every place allows smoking except the 2 "supers" (Baby and Girl).

Also you may already know but they are at times real strict nowadays at Immigration about bringing in 'only' 200 cigs to Thailand, big (BIG) fine if you are over and get caught.

I'd also make it rule, as I have, to ONLY use ATM's in Thailand that "reside" inside a Bank where they are protected against the all too many scams targeting ATMs in Thailand. Likewise if you use any Internet Cafes be very wary about doing any banking - due to keyloggers capturing your userid/passwords (I use a laptop I bring vice Internet Cafes).

Ironic if you haven't been there in 10 years - after a long period of 'oppression' Nana is almost as it was 10 years ago as far as what they wear, or not :-) In fact I often enjoy Nana more than Cowboy nowadays, with Cowboy now often earning the "mercenary" adjective vice Nana (maybe thanks to the "Arab" in large part).

Anyway am certain you'll have a great trip!

Smoking - give up and spend the money on company.

Drinking - give up and spend the money on company.

Passport - wandered all over Suk with nothing more than a few hundred baht and never been hassled. Stick's site reports BIB shakedowns around Soi 22, and that shook me up - my old stomping ground.

CC - never had a problem, but there is a first time for everything.

Its Thailand - expect the unexpected. And the illogical. And some folks who are now out of a job. Enjoy. :xmsgrin:

Thanks for the advice lads - I'm guessing the new airport has a foreign exchange there? Last time the rate at the airport was competitive with the local banks.... AUS-THB down here is just ridiculous.

J2 - on camera gear, I wouldn't dare spend my hard earned at JB or Harvey Norman. Have the camera already, looking at quality lenses a $1700 lens here goes for under $1200 in LOS or any other country for that matter.... We simply get shafted down here.... eg Canon 70-200 f4 IS goes for $1700 at Teds - 38800 at fotofile (Bangkok) or 36000 THB at Phuket Camera.... big difference. Same goes for another lens I'm looking at ($14 or 1500 vs 30500 THB). Minus 7% when I leave...

Probably should give up the smokes, but doubt I could give up the booze - thanks gobble

Brown Fox - I won't be bringing cig's INTO Thailand - they're close to 500 THB a packet down here...

Good info re ATMs "inside" banks, also I'll be sure to let my bank know somehow that I'm out of town for a bit - they often SMS me a code to enter if I send money to someone who isn't on my regular bill payers list, if the same goes in a foreign country I'm in a bit of trouble... Obviously if I'm in LOS I won't get the SMS... won't be carrying a moby with me - that's half the reason I'm coming over.

Thanks again lads... 57 days to go by my watch.... :elephant:

Archived