The Usual Questions....

Redbaron

J2 - on camera gear, I wouldn't dare spend my hard earned at JB or Harvey Norman. Have the camera already, looking at quality lenses a $1700 lens here goes for under $1200 in LOS or any other country for that matter.... We simply get shafted down here.... eg Canon 70-200 f4 IS goes for $1700 at Teds - 38800 at fotofile (Bangkok) or 36000 THB at Phuket Camera.... big difference. Same goes for another lens I'm looking at ($14 or 1500 vs 30500 THB). Minus 7% when I leave...

Fotofile in MBK is excellent. At least 3 outlets including one dedicated secondhand store with some good deals. :up:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good info re ATMs "inside" banks, also I'll be sure to let my bank know somehow that I'm out of town for a bit - they often SMS me a code to enter if I send money to someone who isn't on my regular bill payers list, if the same goes in a foreign country I'm in a bit of trouble... Obviously if I'm in LOS I won't get the SMS... won't be carrying a moby with me - that's half the reason I'm coming over.

ATM scams seems to increase around the world. The difference is that for example in Germany you'll get your money back, if an ATM was manipulated. This does not happen in LOS. For this reason I too prefer ATM's inside of banks, like at City Bank next so Soi Cowboy. They even have a guard inside. It might be more expensive, but better safe than sorry.

Exchange rate in the airport is not that good. ATM's in the baggage hall seem okay, usually attached to a bank exchange booth eg SCB. For a better rate change your large cash amounts at VASU corner of Sukhumvit soi 7/1 or SUPER RICH think that's near Central World.

No worries - will only exchange a little bit at the airport then... thanks radioman

Gobble - my heart bleeds for you, it really does. First round(s) will be on me if and when we do catch up, either here or there.... yell out if you're even in Melbourne. :beer:

nice day today mate - went fishing with the lad and caught a starfish! Hope that's not a sign of things to come....

Re: truck... One freeway to where a hell of a lot of people live... lucky I'm on the other side of Melbourne... I blame that Queenslander who used to run the country... :neener:

Archived