Aren't there still traffic jams in other cities with mass transit, like:

Tokyo

Osaka

London

NYC

Paris

Atlanta

Sydney

There is a fundamentaly different reason for BKK traffic jams and their intensity and spread. The city was since it's inception based on canals for transport. The streets were secondary and unplanned. In the 70s when the cars poured in, it was too late (land books and property rights already set) to straighten and widen what was, chaotically, already in place.

Hi,

Correct. The main reason for the traffic problems is that there just aren't enough roads. Adding more roads in downtown Bangkok just isn't an option though, so mass transit is definitely the way to go.

It isn't wide spread enough (agree on that as well), but it IS a start and it is getting better. I personally think a line from Ratchadapisek down Lad Prao to Bangkapi then down along Ramkhamhaeng would do wonders for traffic in those areas well.

The biggest problem at the moment with the lines is that they do not really go where people live, just where they work. That too though is changing.

Sanuk!

The biggest problem at the moment with the lines is that they do not really go where people live, just where they work. That too though is changing.

Now this is a system that goes where people work and live.

tubemap.gif

First section opened in 1863, now has 270 stations and 402 kms of track.

Really? According to Wiki the Tokyo metro and subway combined has 15 more stations than the London Underground but only 317km of track compared to the LU's 402 km of track. :neener:

And even that you did not add up well. That "Toei" means city owned subway.There are more private lines.

What you saw perhaps here are 285 stations. What you did not see is, there are 870 stations combined, subway + train system. So, multiply by 3.

What you neened for is 8.7 mil out of 40 mil passengers a day.

Ahh, that google university, teaches only quick and dirty tricks that are neither understood nor the user has an idea of the scales and possibilities. Money Back!

Sorry, could not resist when someone threw data that is ridiculous at first glance.

True data but only 20 % of what is on the ground and the source did not claim that was all.

And could accept that a city with people more than Canada would have less rails that 4 times smaller London and still be a legend when it comes to train transport.

And it was me who started jokingly in my first post.

Sir, mine bigger than yours....

the pdf is not showing as a picture, maybe attach the full one from home later

OK, here's a question.

What's involved in getting from Narita Terminal 2 to Akihabara and back? At first glance, it ALMOST looks like "You can't get there from here."

Next time I have a long layover at Narita, I'd be sorely tempted to find an excuse to visit Akihabara, time permitting. (About a year ago, transiting Frankfurt, I had to formally enter Germany to get to the Admirals Club. If I'd had an actual destination in mind, I'd've been tempted to catch a bus into town.)

Archived