Marry Down, Marry Out

think_too_mut

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tod-daniels,

very good point there...care to share how your life partner is like? :)

where I'm from however the sharpest brains tend to come from the country side...pretty far out actually..lol

maybe thats why i married a city gal ... opposites attract or something like that - cheers all!

Hi,

tod-daniels, I see one flaw in your reasoning. No education does not equal stupid.

My wife is from a similar background you describe, only finished M3 when we met, from a small hamlet with rice growing parents. Yet, now people call her 'ajarn'. Once she had the time and opportunity she went to school again and finished M6. She also took lessons in hairdressing and baking.

She has now been teaching for ~10 years at hair academies and works with people from all strata of society without any problems.

One of her friends / ex-students is from a reasobably wealthy background, finished uni, now does nothing but spend her husband's money on shopping and stupid shit.

Who would you think makes the better wife?

Sanuk!

<<12 kids in a class ? Even in our big-dollar (and I mean seriously big dollar ..) private schools>> My son in one of the cheapest English schools in Bangkok, no class I know of with over about 15 kids, his is 12, great quality of teaching just because it's not very successful :) I am sure the school wants more student but I am happy with the student numbers, my son is zooming along.

Hi,

tod-daniels, I see one flaw in your reasoning. No education does not equal stupid.

My wife is from a similar background you describe, only finished M3 when we met, from a small hamlet with rice growing parents. Yet, now people call her 'ajarn'. Once she had the time and opportunity she went to school again and finished M6. She also took lessons in hairdressing and baking.

She has now been teaching for ~10 years at hair academies and works with people from all strata of society without any problems.

True.

It is not anywhere carved in stone, that although one comes from a very modest background - education wise - it has to remain that way for ever.

My ex only finished B6 in Thailand, went to farangland in her early 20`ies and managed to get herself a bachelor and is now a fully qualified nurse.

That in a language she had never even heard about, when she first came here.

So did her friend also by the way, from a very similar back ground.

They left several hopeful local students in their wake, locals who couldn`t make it.

"Marry down, marry up" That is IMHO a opinion a rather archaic way of thinking.

Personally, I couldn`t give a hoot.

Other qualities come much more important in my book.

YMMV

I don't know why there is a perception that education=good wife. Being a good wife is nothing to do with academia. Otherwise academics would have more kids.

In my jaundiced view, an educated western woman will have likely done women's studies at some point, be over 30, biological clock ticking and a where's the sperm buffalo, kinda girl.

What makes a good relationship in my view, is affection.

Though if you need to spend every waking moment, having an intellectual discussion with your wife, maybe a western university is the place to go.

Whilst I'm onto my third, I have to say the first and second were pretty good until the ends. Like life really.

Affection, respect and trust, doesn't matter the background they spring from.

I wish to say something which means it is important . Nothing to do with formal education though :

My previous ultra-longtimegirlfriend as well as current Lovely Nok both came from an agricultural environment , farm rice . Both these ladies did perfectly fit into the mainly Western HiSo ambience which mainly means the hotel I am staying at when in the Kingdom . I have doubts that this would have been so easy with a German lass with identical roots , to forget about Chinese . The Thai female subjects do indeed have a natural charm that is sort of in their genetic structure .

If you know what I mean .

Well my wife and I have been together a total of 8 years. First part was me working 6 months and then going to LOS for 1 month. text msgs. and emails,plus phone calls.

She now travels with me in my work and is also my helper. Hard working lady for some one who stands 5' nothing 555.

We do have our off days, yes, but we are still together. She finished high school in LOS. Her brothers and sisters all went to college. They have good jobs. Well the youngest brother is getting ready to be a monk for at least 3 months. But has a major in english and worked at a high dollar hotel in Hua Hin for his internship.

I would not trade her for the world, but some days we do not see eye to eye..

She is just a simple lady, but sharp minded and street smart so to speak..

Did I marry down and out?

Well do not really have that answer. Some may say yes and some may say no.

Archived