Marry Down, Marry Out

think_too_mut

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you marry, you will regret it; if you do not marry, you will also regret it; if you marry or do not marry, you will regret both. Laugh at the world’s follies, you will regret it, weep over them, you will also regret that; laugh at the world’s follies or weep over them, you will regret both...

Believe a woman, you will regret it, believe her not, you will also regret that; believe a woman or believe her not, you will regret both --

(Kierkegaard)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Christ I quit counting (years ago) the number of foreigners I've met here who married a 5th grade drop out, rice farmer's daughter, from a one buffalo village, in Nakohn Nowhere. Talk about marrying down, those guys took the lift straight to the bottom.

There are very few foreigners I've met here whose thai significant other has the educational and earning parity of the foreigner. They just appear to not be the norm..

I grew up in rural America on a farm surrounded by dumb hill-billy farmer's daughters. I mean really, they were thick as ticks on a hound dogs back! Yet I never saw a foreigner EVER come there, meet, fall in love with, marry, build a house, buy land or do any of the mindless things I see and hear foreigners doing routinely here with Thai women..

Strange when you think about it.. .. Which I do, from time to time...

Thinking about it I have long come to the conclusion that the reason farangs invest in Issan land and houses is because they are helping fulfill the life-long wishes of their thai partners. Some believe in selling all their possesions back home and returning to Thailand to start their life anew. The originating idea is thai, IMHO.

Left to themselves, most farangs will arrive in LOS to party not to settle down to a monogamous relationship.

Strange when you think about it.. .. Which I do, from time to time...

I tend not to concern myself with the affairs of others, we're all different.

But here's my 2 satang anyway.

The last, I repeat LAST thing I would ever want in a life partner is someone with my intellect, my outlook on life, my earning potential or any other of those traits which might be to some degree or other be related to my own. I absolutely want a partner diametrically opposed to that. I've met Thai, and women of other Asian nations with all of those traits and to a one they have reminded me that homosexuality is not my thing. Just maybe some of the educated western males you see marrying down feel like that too. Thinking about it doesn't do much, it's more about how you feel.

on further thoughts life partner may be chosen by random, pot luck, fate or god damn bad choice or less worse option available.

happiness down the road will probably be determined by many factors including what the 2 bring to the table be it money, blowjobs, family support, kids etc

1 thing for certain if there was some kind of 'balance' to start with its likely it wont end as a train wreck or another note in pattaya daily or rural police journal :)

Archived