Buying A Tv

khunsanuk

Hi,

Considering getting a new TV and this one, Samsung PS51D490A1, looks pretty good and it is very cheap at 22,990 Baht for a 51" TV.

I am a bit confused though as while I always thought TV technology went from good to best like this: Plasma -> LCD -> LED

However, after some reading it seems that this may not be the case and a plasma might actually be the best option for me seeing my main use of it will be gaming (incl some 3D gaming).

So, I guess my questions are as follows:

- Does anyone have any experience with plasma TVs and especially the one I mention?

- Would a plasma be okay for me or would I be better of waiting a bit and buying an LED 3D TV?

- There is also a higher model with a better resolution (1920x1080 vs 1365x768), is this noticable on a 51" screen? (It's 7K Baht more expensive and this is only major difference I can tell other than the more expensive one having a Wifi connection and 1 more HDMI plug)

Sanuk!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I guess my questions are as follows:

- Does anyone have any experience with plasma TVs and especially the one I mention?

- Would a plasma be okay for me or would I be better of waiting a bit and buying an LED 3D TV?

- There is also a higher model with a better resolution (1920x1080 vs 1365x768), is this noticable on a 51" screen? (It's 7K Baht more expensive and this is only major difference I can tell other than the more expensive one having a Wifi connection and 1 more HDMI plug)

KS, TV No.1 in Japan is Sharp Aquos, probably 50% of the market only that brand. That brand has made a killing here, trashed everyone else, even Panasonic.

The reason being: that is the only TV whose screen is made in Japan only, nowhere else. Kameyama facility is dedicated to that, the TVs are even called "Kameyama model", the most rigorous quality control in the world..

I, who have not watched TV since 1990, bought 2 of them in 1 week: one in Bangkok for new home and 1 in Japan for family that came to live here.

I think Thai price was half or so of the Japanese price (from memory, I think it was 22-23K baht, LC 32D30), for the identical TV (in Japan it was 42,000B). The screens are imported into Thai and fitted in the local Sharp factory. The screen defines the quality of whole TV.

It must have been replaced by a newer model by now, they should have an USB slot, wireless, see if they can record to USB hard disk without DVD recorder, higher models can.

...I think Thai price was half or so of the Japanese price (from memory, I think it was 22-23K baht, LC 32D30), for the identical TV (in Japan it was 42,000B). The screens are imported into Thai and fitted in the local Sharp factory. The screen defines the quality of whole TV...

So that's 22-23K for a 32" TV whereas KS is considering a 51" TV for the same price. :hmmm:

I've always had Panasonic plasmas (I currently have a 50" version although it's 4 years old now and is not full HD) and think they are excllent but Samsung do make good ones as well. :up:

So that's 22-23K for a 32" TV whereas KS is considering a 51" TV for the same price. :hmmm:

I've always had Panasonic plasmas (I currently have a 50" version although it's 4 years old now and is not full HD) and think they are excllent but Samsung do make good ones as well. :up:

I agree that Samsung, even LG can make an excellent TV.

How could some electronics company in a free world (no dumping) make something the double size at half the price?

Perhaps, as the uotput from quality control. Same thing as CPUs. Intel i5 could be 3.2GHz, 2.8Ghz, 2.2Ghz while are they are all supposed be the same.

Those not passing the highest requirements in the tests, go cheaper, for home markets. The best ones go for corporate servers markets.

Same with the LCD screens although not that easy to confirm as with the CPUs. Those that don't pass or are not meant to pass, could even be a standard acceptable by the public, go cheaper but you don't know what you bought (it's not written or checkable as with the CPUs).

Every electronics company kows and does that.

I happen to know as they all are my customers, all their data lives on my gear. There I see what segment they are complaining about, that clearly reveals the stratums of quality they maintain.

Then, people wonder how comes? This bigger TV same price as this smaller one? Most don't wonder, just buy what seems a better deal. Without knowing why nor their salesman would know (or would not reveal).

Sharp scraps (destroys) all those LCDs that don't pass, no resale. That is how they built the confidence and market share in TV market in Japan.

The high price (seems to be, according to your post) may have fallen or you get more for it (slots, wifi, plugs, features...).

Samsung and LG may be sending to Japan their top notch products to compete with Sharp and Panasonic (Sony is an outsider here) but other screens that got unlucky not to pass the QA go to other, more price concious markets that might not note or do not care about the difference.

The best lot goes to Japan, second to Singapore, Hong Kong, third to Thai, Malaysia, fourth to Uganda, Kenya, fifth to Russia and *stans countries.

The hard part is finding a new tv with all the features you want, seems all brands have good extras, but none seem to have all the ones we want.

I agree that Samsung, even LG can make an excellent TV.

How could some electronics company in a free world (no dumping) make something the double size at half the price?

Perhaps, as the uotput from quality control. Same thing as CPUs. Intel i5 could be 3.2GHz, 2.8Ghz, 2.2Ghz while are they are all supposed be the same.

Those not passing the highest requirements in the tests, go cheaper, for home markets. The best ones go for corporate servers markets.

Same with the LCD screens although not that easy to confirm as with the CPUs. Those that don't pass or are not meant to pass, could even be a standard acceptable by the public, go cheaper but you don't know what you bought (it's not written or checkable as with the CPUs).

Every electronics company kows and does that.

I happen to know as they all are my customers, all their data lives on my gear. There I see what segment they are complaining about, that clearly reveals the stratums of quality they maintain.

Then, people wonder how comes? This bigger TV same price as this smaller one? Most don't wonder, just buy what seems a better deal. Without knowing why nor their salesman would know (or would not reveal).

Sharp scraps (destroys) all those LCDs that don't pass, no resale. That is how they built the confidence and market share in TV market in Japan.

The high price (seems to be, according to your post) may have fallen or you get more for it (slots, wifi, plugs, features...).

Samsung and LG may be sending to Japan their top notch products to compete with Sharp and Panasonic (Sony is an outsider here) but other screens that got unlucky not to pass the QA go to other, more price concious markets that might not note or do not care about the difference.

The best lot goes to Japan, second to Singapore, Hong Kong, third to Thai, Malaysia, fourth to Uganda, Kenya, fifth to Russia and *stans countries.

Hi,

Thanks, MM. At least one useful reply :)

Ask a simple question on TVs, get 2 posts extoiling how superior Japan is :)

Sanuk!

I think it's a case of shop around for the best deal that fits your needs, there are some good ones around at the moment.

Check the big stores and don't be afraid to consider Macro.

Make sure there's at least one HDMI port to plug your laptop into, it's the only way I play downloaded movies now. (I can't imagine anything on the market now not having them anyway).

Don't worry too much about LED/etc, just look at the other specs.

Hi,

All the new TVs now come with several HDMI ports. The one I am looking at even comes with a USB connection which would allow me to watch movies directly from that.

What I'd really like is to see both of the 51"s next to each other to see the difference in quality due to the difference in resolution. Might be hard finding a place that has both models though.

Sanuk!

I don't know about that KS, there are at least two huge shops in Chiang Rai that have them lined up everywhere, and this is a fairly minor city by Thai standards.

Dare I suggest you ask around on "another" forum for suitable shops in your area? :closemouth:

One of them is quite good for this type of thing, just by sheer weight of numbers.

:xmascheer

Archived