Buying A Tv

khunsanuk

Definitely go for the higher resolution.

It's like double the amount of pixels--a no brainer to me if you intend to watch anything Hi-Def. Sorry for the short and on-point reply. ;)

A no brainer indeed. Don't forget to slash the price.

Hi,

Thanks, MM. At least one useful reply :)

Ask a simple question on TVs, get 2 posts extoiling how superior Japan is :)

Sanuk!

A fast forward: in 3 years, you are standing in a TV shop, hundreds of them on display. And you think: what nice picture these new TVs have, must be new technology.

No: the pixels, 40% of them, on the "no brainer" TV that you had bought 3 years ago have died and the surviving ones are making up for them. And the picture is noticably lower quality what it used to be, that is why new TVs look nicer: their pixels have not had a chance to die.

So, 30% cheaper TV now has to be bought again after only 3 years while it should last 7 years.

And you ridiculed TTM who was telling you which particular company (that happened to be Japanese) will not let out the door a screen where pixels would die more than 5% over 10 years. And will not send different quality (and lower price) screens for different markets.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Julian, plenty of shops that show loads of TV, just wondering if they have both models on display. Was in a shop (which, granted, was small) and they had only the 43" on display, but not either of the 51" ones I am interested in.

Will probably try Powerbuy at one of the Robinson's on Ratchada, they are both quite large.

Sanuk!

Hi,

And you ridiculed TTM who was telling you which particular company (that happened to be Japanese) will not let out the door a screen where pixels would die more than 5% over 10 years. And will not send different quality (and lower price) screens for different markets.

Sorry, misread your first statement. When you wrote 'that is the only TV whose screen is made in Japan only' I read it as them being available only in Japan, which of course would have been useless to me.

As for TVs lasting 7 years, I kinda doubt it'll be that long before I replace the one I'll be getting now. The current one I've had for ~4 years.

Sanuk!

Hi,

No, the Sony is still fine. The TV of my wife's parents died and she was planning to buy them a 32" (which would cost her ~10K). When we then saw that the plasmas are so cheap already we figured we might as well put that 10K towards a new one for ourselves and give them the Sony.

Sanuk!

While we were typing here, wife called she needs a new iron so I went to the shop near my office.

100s of TVs on display.

That second number in screen resolution, the "1080", means full HDTV.

What was new to me is that 3D have advanced so much, tens of them have some movie and glassess to watch and try.

Sharp LC-52L5 is local branding, it has it all, 3D included.

On the net, I think this is the same model, for American market.

Edit: looks like TV in the link does not have 3D and no Hard Disk. One that I saw does.

Can not load pictures (can not ftp to my site from work), the image is enclosed. That price of 169,800Y would be some 2,000US$. Could be 60% of that in Thai. For the world's best screen inside, worthwhile, me think.

post-656-0-50315300-1324444480.jpg

Hi,

The cheapest Sharp 3D LED is 55K at powerbuy. VERY big difference in price, and much smaller (40" instead of 51"). The 52" Sharp 3D LED (which seems like it is the same as the one in your picture) is 80K Baht! That's more than triple the price of the one I am looking at.

While I agree that LED looks nicer - esp brighter - the price difference between plasma and LED is just too big. Even a 46" LED is still 16K (70%) more expensive.

Sanuk!

Hi,

The cheapest Sharp 3D LED is 55K at powerbuy. VERY big difference in price, and much smaller (40" instead of 51"). The 52" Sharp 3D LED (which seems like it is the same as the one in your picture) is 80K Baht! That's more than triple the price of the one I am looking at.

Whooh, that is not cheap.

I did not realize my price was already discounted.

80k THB that you saw is ~70% of the original JP price which is in the picture (crossed) 289,800Y (~115,000THB). Could be this particular sample is on sale (68k THB) for some reason, could be as trivial as last unit with 1TB HDD while next coming batch comes with 4TB HDD.

but no matter how much you pay, most of the programming is still tripe.

Whooh, that is not cheap.

I did not realize my price was already discounted.

80k THB that you saw is ~70% of the original JP price which is in the picture (crossed) 289,800Y (~115,000THB). Could be this particular sample is on sale (68k THB) for some reason, could be as trivial as last unit with 1TB HDD while next coming batch comes with 4TB HDD.

I have a 42" plasma, an LG about 6 years old. Having lived with one of that vintage I'm not sure I would buy another plasma. They are much bigger radioators of electronic pollution, something of a personal bete noir, and they get darned hot. This latter apparently the reason why the power supply units in mine failed after about 5 years. Cost 7k baht to have them replaced, was done on-site at my home next day by the LG service guys. Took them about 40 minutes to completely strip it and replace the 4 power supply boards. Apparently it's so common a fault they can do them almmost blindfold. Told me they are doing about 3 a week. Can't fault LG, or Samsung, but I'd be more tempted by the HD LCD rather than the non HD plasma. Will not the blu ray drive in the PS3 provide 1080p? That might drive my descision a little.

Cheers.

Archived