Buying A Tv

khunsanuk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Radioman, when you say it gets hot, how hot do you mean? Is it a real issue in a non-aircon room?

Did a bit more reading and LED does seem to be the best option (out of plasma, lcd and led), but also the most expensive.

My thinking at moment is to just buy the 51" plasma as it will cost me only 13K (seeing my wife would buy a 10K TV regardless) and use this for a year. During that year I can figure out if getting 3D is really worth it for me as well as to see if the TV 'works' for me. If it doesn't, I can buy a nicer one next year which will almost certainly be better than any of the options I could buy now. And I'll be able to make a more informed decision.

And it's not like I've never dropped 10-15K on something that turned out to be useless :)

Sanuk!

Guest lazyphil

i've bought my daughter a 22 inch philips led tv/dvd/freeview combo for her room....war on wires continues....earlier in the year finally got a kewl laptop and got rid of my pc tower and endless wires!!!

now i need to get a good telly for our living room, interesting thread.....sharp the way to go it seems for a jumbo sized telly then??

Hi,

Radioman, when you say it gets hot, how hot do you mean? Is it a real issue in a non-aircon room?

No, it will be fine I'm sure, but I always have reservations about life cycle vs temperature, more heat sure aint more better where electronics is concerned, unless of course it's big high power vacuum tubes in the multi mega watt class, they need to make heat.

Did a bit more reading and LED does seem to be the best option (out of plasma, lcd and led), but also the most expensive.

Your money, your choice, Think that unless you have precision eyesight you will not be really dissappointed.

My thinking at moment is to just buy the 51" plasma (seems amazing when you think these were 150k just a couple of years ago)as it will cost me only 13K (seeing my wife would buy a 10K TV regardless) and use this for a year. During that year I can figure out if getting 3D is really worth it for me as well as to see if the TV 'works' for me. If it doesn't, I can buy a nicer one next year which will almost certainly be better than any of the options I could buy now. And I'll be able to make a more informed decision.

That seems like a smart train of thought. 3D certainly seems to be the next big thing and from what I have seen looks very impressive when showing well produced material. It neds a bit more maturing yet, which will bring price drops. Though I wonder what we will be looking out for in 12 months from now once 3D is run of the mill? What's next?

And it's not like I've never dropped 10-15K on something that turned out to be useless :)

Welcome to that club, shit I can think of a few weekend women that have cost me that one way or another :)

Cheers, RM

Sanuk!

Hi,

LED is a newer version of LCD. From reading up this has become the clear winner in the TV types race. For now at least :)

They use less energy than either LCD/plasma, better brightness, thinner and some other improvements as well. Of course, they are also the most expensive :)

Sanuk!

Archived