My Christmas Present To Myself

Torneyboy

I remember the commemorative Singha beer cans for the Stones' visit. I should have kept them, but I got thirsty and drank them. :(

As I recall, Mick Jagger got as close as India, then did a runner.

our tixs got cancelled too.

At least, I had seen them 6 times before. 2 times in Oz.

Tomorrow, we are taking the delivery of our new car. What song (in the new car) should be played first?

The family voted for

My daughter: Herman Hermits - No Milk Today

My wife: Mammas and Pappas - California Dreaming

Myself: Jimmy Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower

Could be, we settle for "Down Under" by Man at Work.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"On the road again" by Willie Nelson?

Thai floods fcuked it up. A temporary navigation (and entertainment unit) has been fitted, until the Thai made one arrives mid-January. No iPod compatibility. Unbeliveable, a 30$ iPod (the small squary one, like restaurant matches) can not play with a 3,000$ equipment.

But it does play DVDs and my daughter has established her quarters in the back. "Cars 2" was on the back screen.

After Xmas lunch at home, we went to Narita-san to bless the new car. It was snowing.

That is where shinto Gods who look after traffic and luck of the participants in it live.

To be honest, just to enjoy the smooth ride of the excellent vehicle.

This is where you send your prays, light a scent stick:

narita01.jpg

Down below was the car:

narita02.jpg

narita03.jpg

This could be a lead to another topic about Thailand.

My wife could not believe our LandCruser was only 2.5 mil baht (our price in Japan, high spec). As much as our new home at Bang Na, but why is the car so cheap?

She found (she claims, I saw the screens, looks real), seems that our car would be 7 mil baht vanilla + options in Thai.

Still, hard to believe.

Unless...people in Thai on average income pay no tax. Those who can afford the cars, they pay when they buy one.

The workaround, now obvious, pickup trucks. Thais are the second largest market on the planet after US, that all stems from the taxation. Hence we have the tricks to buy a farm vehicle and add a cannopy.

...My wife could not believe our LandCruser was only 2.5 mil baht (our price in Japan, high spec). As much as our new home at Bang Na, but why is the car so cheap?

Of course your Landcruiser isn't a proper Landcruiser, it's what's called a Landcruiser Prado in the ME, i.e., a junior version of the Landcruiser. Still a nice 4X4 but not actually a Landcruiser.

So maybe your wife priced a real Landcruiser in Thailand whereas you've bought the junior version which is a very different vehicle.

Of course your Landcruiser isn't a proper Landcruiser, it's what's called a Landcruiser Prado in the ME, i.e., a junior version of the Landcruiser. Still a nice 4X4 but not actually a Landcruiser.

So maybe your wife priced a real Landcruiser in Thailand whereas you've bought the junior version which is a very different vehicle.

"Of course"?

You think one could be that naive not to know the difference?

If you did not see the picture, here is she again, no mistake, V8:

LC200-05.jpg

The 200 series is not that new that nobody could see it before, could be 4 years now.

2.5 mil baht in Japan, 7+ mil in Thai. She even reckons that all the extras we took would be 8+ mil baht.

You see the difference? 6 mil baht gives you a good pad along the Sukhumvit, if you wish.

I bet half of it was made in Thai (the LandCruiser 100 that I owned in Oz was imported from Thai, the entire vehicle).

My Isuzu Dmax is made in Thailand and exported to Australia to be re-badged as the Holden Rodeo.

The point is how heavily taxed cars in Thailand are. I paid 2.5 mil baht in Japan, on the road, taxes included.

Then, from there, the same car is subdued for another 6 million baht tax in Thai. That is what? The tax difference is 55 years, more than working life, of monthly salary for Khun Somchai.

8 million Baht :surprised: Blimey for that you could get a new top spec Ferrari here in Farangland.

Surprised? An ordinary Japanese cars are 5% more expensive in Thai than what they are in Japan. Made in Thai where Thai workers are paid maybe 10% of what their Japanese colleagues are.

Furtehmore, if I wanted to bring my car with me in 10 years from now into Thailand, I will have to pay Thai tax of 250% of the price of the new same car.

It's a policy, a known one. But it just rings the bells.

The car I bought is about right price , including some "luxury" tax. Still, 2.5 mil baht.

Archived