Help: I Have Misplaced My Favorite Bangkok Restaurant

donaldente

In the old Nanaplaza forums, there was a recommendation for a Thai restaurant in Bangkok that was mainly patronized by locals. Very few tourists went there. It was on Sukhumvit road somewhere around the Ekkamai BTS or Phra Khanong BTS stops.

My wife and I went there in 2002 and it lived up to its recommendation. It was a large open air restaurant with canvas shades overhead. On our first visit, there were around 100 people and I only saw one other farang with his Thai wife/girlfriend.

The style of food was a cook your own buffet. When you were seated at a table, a charcoal stove (see picture below) would be brought to you. There were buffet tables with thin sliced meat and vegetables where you selected what you wish to eat. The meat would go on the dome to fry and the vegetables would go into the hot water around the dome. The fat from the meat and cooked vegetables would turn the water into a soup to have at the end of the meal. Delicious!

Two years ago, I was back in Bangkok again and went looking for my favorite restaurant in Bangkok. It was not there. The best I could figure out, was that where it used to be, is now a high rise building. It was a sad day.

I will be back in Thailand in two months, so my question is: Does anyone know if it just closed or was it moved? And if it moved, where is it now?

Also, this trip I am going to spend much more time in Pattaya than Bangkok. Does anyone know of a similar type restaurant in Pattaya?

Thinking back on this restaurant reminds me of the incident between my wife and the cute Thai waitress. But first I must explain that my wife is German and is nothing like the American women I grew up with. She is quite liberal in her attitude to sex. She enjoyed the sex shows at soi Cowboy very much and even enjoyed a couple of bar girls overnight with me. Also I need to explain that the service at the restaurant was very good. The waitress kept my large bottle of beer iced down. Every few minutes she would come over and top off my glass and talk for a minute or two. She said that she enjoyed practicing her English, which she did not get to do very often. Then out of the blue, as the waitress started over to our table to refill my beer again, my wife grabbed my beer bottle toped off my glass and then slammed the bottle down on the table. She then glared at the waitress until she turned around and went away. I looked at my wife and asked her what was the problem; I have been flirting whit bar girls the whole trip without it bothering you. My wife then said that bar girls were professionals and did not count, but the waitress was a REAL woman, and that obviously counted very much. The poor waitress did not come back to our table again. She made one of her coworkers take care of us.

6586816555_3d30e482b9.jpg

Believe your talking about the boxer's place (Somluck Kamsing ???) - gone now - I think there is a condo already in that place now as you mentioned.

This type of place is called Mookata - and are located almost everywhere (except on Sukhumvit).

The closest one to downtown is on Phetchburi at the Asoke Montri intersection - called "Family" - very big one but quality not so good (which is similar to most really) - but price is cheap.

You can buy them very easily in a market and cook at home, my wife does one regularly.

I seem to remember the Lao calling them see dam, or black, after the colour the top of the "hat" goes.

You put a stock of some sort in the rim and cook thinly sliced meat on the top.

You can poach eggs in the stock with the vegetables as well, keep topping it up incase it boils dry.

Been to that place several times, with some other Board members as well. It was 80baht per head.

It has moved (closed 7 or so years ago I think) and there is indeed a condo building where the restaurant used to be.

My wife pointed once at the similar place at On Nut, near Lotus, and said "this is the new place for that restaurant". Can't remember, she said she had recognized some of the staff when she went there with her friends.

I appreciate very much the responses from everyone. In fact I am so happy with the response, I will post a question about my favorite Thai seafood restaurant in the next day or two.

This type of place is called Mookata - and are located almost everywhere (except on Sukhumvit).

This is a great piece of information; I did not think about asking the name of this type of establishment. With this information, I can ask at my hotel in Pattaya where I can find one.

You can buy them very easily in a market and cook at home

Good idea. Regrettably (I sure some will not believe this, but it is true that I will miss her) my wife will not be joining me this trip. She told me when I find one, e-mail her with the price and she will decide if I should get one or not.

My wife pointed once at the similar place at On Nut, near Lotus, and said "this is the new place for that restaurant". Can't remember, she said she had recognized some of the staff when she went there with her friends.

My time in Bangkok will be limited this trip. But I will make an effort to go to the place on Nut. I wonder if the same waitress will be there and if she would recognize me. But if she is there, I sure that even with me being by myself, she will not come within 5 meters of me :<)

Mate they are about ten bucks, you might get a better quality stainless one in a place like Robinsons and pay a bit more but the common ones the Thais use are dirt cheap.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't get them in an Asian supermarket at home, you'd certainly get the little charcoal stoves.

Archived