Bogus Computer Error

gawguy

I'm getting an error msg 1802 out of Thinkpad T41 saying "1802: Unauthorized network card is plugged in - Power off and remove the miniPCI network card." There is nothing in the two slots at all. It's an old computer but working perfectly except for this.

I installed printer software the other day, but things were fine for a day or two. Now the f..ker won't boot. Have another HD which I put in, same thing. This particular msg is an IBM/Lenovo thing, but looking online, seems that there is always an unauthorized card in the slot when the msg comes up. In this case the slots are empty and I'm looking at a brick.

What to do?

Thanks...GG

There are some things you could do before you conclude that it's a brick:

Get into setup during boot up and set the bios to 'default'. Also, disabling the problem component (PCI slot) could do the trick.

Re-installing the OS is another option.

There are some things you could do before you conclude that it's a brick:

Get into setup during boot up and set the bios to 'default'. Also, disabling the problem component (PCI slot) could do the trick.

Re-installing the OS is another option.

Thank you...so...I tried all that. Disabled all PCI slots. Tried to start, got msg all PCI slots are disabled and the 1802 msg to remove miniPCI card.

Put in system CD - would not start. Went back to 1802 msg.

?? This is a hardware problem, isn't it ?? Something shorted out or broken? There's been no unusual bumping of the laptop.

GG

Archived