New Laptop Needed In Los

Encore

My wife needs a new laptop, the 5 yr old Sony Vaio is starting to become too slow for her needs (Mail, netsurfing, some Photoshop and a lot of Adobe InDesign, a fairly powerhungry graphic design progrmme. No gaming. To date little or no video editing.

Sony was OK, but seems a bit expensive. Heard good things about Asus and Acer.

Distrust HP (they refused to send me a new driver for my HP printer a few years ago when I was living in Laos "Because Laos was an enemy country." Silly twits!) .

Dell seems to only do online sales, and we kind of like dealing with a person in real life when needing service.

Apple Mac is out, I'm a Mac user myself, but She doesn't like it, and all her existing software is Windows based.

I could read overseas reports and comparisons, but they don't relate to what's available here. I have myself been too long out of Win to know what PC laptop right now is reliable and value for money.

Any suggestions?

I quite like using IT City because they have branches all over and warranty will be honoured all around Thailand, but are they more expensive? I prefer a shop that is likely to still be there in a year or two. I also like Apple's concept of buying an extended warranty.

13 or 14 inch screen, to cope with weight when travelling, most of the time at home she uses an outside 20" screen.

Why not a netbook?

I love them and they go for hours when traveling, especially if your in Laos if electricity is hard to come by.

I get 6 - 8 hours easy, even playing movies.

If eyesight is an issue get a white keyboard with black keys and set the resolutions so it's not.

I run pretty hard software and have no problems.

The newer N-series chip sets are great.

And cheap.

Asus and Samsung are good.

Just get an Asus, whatever laptop is on sale now. It is not inferior, the same plant churns out Applle, HP, Dell, Lenovo, all of them. The Foxconn plant.

It comes with Free DOS but no Windows. You have to buy the Win 7 OS (western price, maybe cheaper, at 4,000B) or subject your wife to Android and things she may not know how to operate. Read: rendering the pc useless.

My wife needs a new laptop, the 5 yr old Sony Vaio

A mate of mine had a high end Vaio he bought in a Thai mall for almost 90,000 THB (Core i7, 8GB, 1TB HDD, 17 inch 1080p etc). I had the same spec HP off Amazon shipped here by Fedex door to door in under a week for 43,000 THB including extras. I am not recommending HP (mine is an ENVY 17 inch which I have grown to like) but just saying the prices here Vs what's out there in the laptop world....

Archived