Landing In Los Without A Return Flight Ticket

gobbledonk

Like anything, there is always going to be the exception that gets someone into trouble, so my disclaimer is simple : if you are in any doubt whatsoever, just buy the return ticket and be done with it. I take zero responsibility for anyone ending up in the monkey house or being told they wont be allowed into the Kingdom.

In my case, when I flew into Swampy last July with Air Asia out of KLCC, I had no return air ticket to Oz and I wasn't hassled by anyone, either at Gold Coast International, KLCC or Bangkok International. Granted, I did have a return flight to KL from BKK, but that cost peanuts. On earlier occasions, I have come back from Singapore or whatever and been given another 30 days without anyone giving a hoot about whether I had a ticket back to Oz.

I *believe* that this was because I flew with Air Asia, and expect that it would have been different if I had flown with a carrier based in Oz or the UK. I also believe that there is a lot to be said for dressing reasonably well and appearing as though its just 'another day of international travel' - I leave the shorts and t-shirt in my luggage.

Of course, those of you with Non-Imm and Work visas wouldnt have to worry about any of this, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has been hassled re possession of a return flight ticket to their country of residence.

I didn't have a problem flying int Manila or BKK recently however did when I arrived in Port Moresby.

Easy solution if uncertain of duration of stay is make a booking on line within 24 hours of arrival. Have that with you but remember it's only a booking so doesnt cost a cent.

Like anything, there is always going to be the exception that gets someone into trouble, so my disclaimer is simple : if you are in any doubt whatsoever, just buy the return ticket and be done with it. I take zero responsibility for anyone ending up in the monkey house or being told they wont be allowed into the Kingdom.

In my case, when I flew into Swampy last July with Air Asia out of KLCC, I had no return air ticket to Oz and I wasn't hassled by anyone, either at Gold Coast International, KLCC or Bangkok International. Granted, I did have a return flight to KL from BKK, but that cost peanuts. On earlier occasions, I have come back from Singapore or whatever and been given another 30 days without anyone giving a hoot about whether I had a ticket back to Oz.

I *believe* that this was because I flew with Air Asia, and expect that it would have been different if I had flown with a carrier based in Oz or the UK. I also believe that there is a lot to be said for dressing reasonably well and appearing as though its just 'another day of international travel' - I leave the shorts and t-shirt in my luggage.

Of course, those of you with Non-Imm and Work visas wouldnt have to worry about any of this, but I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has been hassled re possession of a return flight ticket to their country of residence.

and what would you like to say with this post?

hasn't this been discussed multiple times? yes there is a formal requirement to have a return ticket unless you have long stay visa and no, it is neither checked nor enforced. I have not heard of any westerners, that got into trouble with this! of course for people from countries, who need a visa on arrival, it is regularly checked

HT, I don't need you to 'say' anything. bust has kindly given me an example of a situation where he did need a return flight ticket, and clearly he was able to extricate himself from any further hassle quickly and cheaply.

If you feel I'm posting about a non-event, this exact question forms the basis for about a thousand Google hits, many of them pointing to Asia-related forums. It remains a source of confusion and, I suspect, is likely to depend on whatever 'checklist' is in place at a given airport.

FWIW, I can guarantee you that if you fly into Australia without a return ticket, and you are not an Australian citizen, it will most definitely be 'enforced'. Our Customs people seem to get a real thrill out of putting people on a plane bound for their last port of departure.

Bust's problem happened in Port Moresby and that does not belong to Thailand, does it?

As for Australia, I always thought, that if you fly into Australia without a return ticket you will get offered a free citizenship and 100 acres property as a welcome gift? What could have spoiled the attitude of those immigration folks recently?

Give that last theory a shot, HT, and please come back and post re your new life in Oz. I reckon the locals will welcome you with open arms up there in Nimbin ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimbin,_New_South_Wales

That is probably one of the few towns of < 100,000 to make the NSA hitlist, but I'd imagine that they have slightly larger fish to fry right now.

Archived