Brisbane Qld

Mekong

Red, great news. I've just been in touch with a wonderful fellow from a Bank in Nigeria, and apparently they have 25,000,000.19 British pounds in escrow and all he needs is some bank account details to help him move that money out of the country. I've given him mine - forward me your details and I'll pass them on !

Aaaah, the milk of human kindness.

You may laugh but The Nigerian Spam makes 6 bil US$ a year. Even Ronald Reagan's surgeon fell for it.

Brisbane...hm, I think I may buy some property there and settle after Japan. Once we attain Japanese Permanent Residency (not for me, my daughter may benefit from it) we can go there and see what may be suitable. For us to live (6 montsh there, 6 months in our BKK home) and her to study and have some possession. Either Brisbane or Gold Coast.

Wonderful place Brisbane is.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are many surveys about salaries in the Industry This one being the most recent. As can be seen salary is dependent on age, experience, qualifications and position held.

Now as a Consultant Automation Engineer with over 25 years experience holding a Bachelors and Masters Degree I tend to be top of the range. Furthermore I dont work on little jobs, my project in Qatar was a USD 20 Billion budget peaking at 50,000 manpower on site.

Today JGC/KBR/Chiyoda have just announced a USD 30 Billion project Ichthys LNG terminal in Western Australia, mega projects is my field.

Now these are just average salaries and not overall package, for the likes of TTM who works married status accommodation, transportation and Education also play a major part in deciding if the package is worthwhile.

Too many people are unaware of what the payscales are and undersell themselves without carrying out any research into industry standard terms and conditions. Yes I do pay registration fees for various websites but it is well worth it to keep the finger on the pulse.

Knowing the Industry, ongoing projects and current rates does not make me a bragger, it just puts me in a stronger negotiating position due to my knowledge.

Kong

Now these are just average salaries and not overall package, for the likes of TTM who works married status accommodation, transportation and Education also play a major part in deciding if the package is worthwhile.

No, my friend, I am a local hire, I pay everything myself, out of my pocket. No expat status or perks, nothing paid by Corp. Other tnan my name being non-Japanese, I am same as all others. Tax, pension, health insurance (national), no paid return flights home, nothing.

Which is good. That may have saved me. Of 47 foreigners in the company in 2003., all were sent home (some right into retrenchment as they lost their importance and connections), only 1 has left: myself.

Still, before my family joined me in Japan (September 2008.) I would have taken a job in Thai, at whatever price it was (say, 80K US$) knowing it is a good pay in Thai.

Still, before my family joined me in Japan (September 2008.) I would have taken a job in Thai, at whatever price it was (say, 80K US$) knowing it is a good pay in Thai.

Agree that its good money, but I could burn through that in Bangkok, particularly if I had a stressful job and just enough free time to get myself into trouble ! Accomm is still much cheaper in BKK than in Sydney, but many of the prices Stick quotes for eating out (and higher end bars)in Bangkok look awfully similar to Sydney prices, and I'm not talking Soi 33. The big plus is that you dont *have* to pay those prices everytime you want to go out.

... Accomm is still much cheaper in BKK than in Sydney

No accommodation needed. Already own a brand new 2BR in the building with resort style facilities. Cost 1 buck (1 fucking buck!) a day in levies.

Eat out? Hardly ever. Maybe lunch at whatever is around water parks (Siam Park on Bangna Central rooftop).

Office has in-house (for all the companies in the building) and a lady serves at your desk (30B) what was ordered by 10am.

Luxury, sheer luxury, ttm, but I doubt that you are a teetotaller. :stirthepo

Gobbie,

That was one of my biggest challenges when I was working in Sri Racha and had an apartment in Pattaya during the week, resisting the temptation of hitting the bright lights every night, one had to be very disciplined and I even surprised myself that I managed it for the 3 year duration of the contract without ever missing a day at work.

hey mate

i lived in brissy for 6 yrs and loved it,its relaxed,little street crime,can have nice drink in the city by the river and has many thai ppl,restaurants,thai shops in the city,i lived with 5 thai girls for nearly 2 yrs and theres a thai temple which i learned thai at for 2.5yrs.

i just moved from brissy to perth to find some fly in fly out work but perth city doesnt feel as clean and safe to me,i just come here to look for work and go to los in my time off.

brissy has a direct flight to bkk just 8-9hrs with only 3 hrs time difference,so for it!!:)

Unfortunately QLD is on HOLD at the moment, I was due to be involved in CSG (Coal Seam Gas) Projects which, as mentioned in Gobbies Link, QLD CSG projects are now on hold due to environmental issues, similar to the delay to the Gorgon project a couple of years ago.

Archived