Is My Computer Strong Enough To Run Win7

gawguy

Just bought a computer on Craigslist - very good price. Sticker on the front says "Designed for XP. Windows Vista compatible."

Lenovo Thinkpad T43 about 5? yrs old.

Intel Pentium M processor 1.86 1.87 Ghz (why do they list two speed values?)

32 bit operating system

2.00gb memory

Windows 7 Ultimate, 2009, Service Pack 1 (Are there SP upgrades I should install?)

HD size 60gb

-------

This is my first experience with 7.

It seems to run okay to me. I don't play games. I stream online videos like youtube and do other standard stuff like itunes.

The seller told me it was slow booting up, maybe he meant other things too. It seems to run as fast as XP does. Hard to compare exactly.

The hard drive is a bit small and I will most likely upgrade to 160gb.

So what do you think? Does my "new" computer have enuf juice to run this?

Thanks..GG

Hi,

Try downloading and running this: http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor

Sanuk!

I looked at the link and I see that the "Upgrade Advisor" is a MS program that is downloaded, installed and run on my PC. No thanks to that. Who knows what all MS would send along. I'll just monitor the functioning of the system. So far so good for what I do. Maybe other systems work a lot faster, I don't know, but this is at least as fast as XP, and I was perfectly happy with XP.

I'm going to look on the web now, but after a week of use I don't see much difference between XP and Win7 in the running the programs I use.

Thank you...GG

• 4 weeks later...

I looked at the link and I see that the "Upgrade Advisor" is a MS program that is downloaded, installed and run on my PC. No thanks to that. Who knows what all MS would send along. I'll just monitor the functioning of the system. So far so good for what I do. Maybe other systems work a lot faster, I don't know, but this is at least as fast as XP, and I was perfectly happy with XP.

I'm going to look on the web now, but after a week of use I don't see much difference between XP and Win7 in the running the programs I use.

Thank you...GG

Listen. I am as paranoid as the next punter. And I have used MS Upgrade Advisor a few times. Don't you think that MS could look at everything on your computer if they wanted to without any Upgrade Advisor?

I have had outside on my road/street/way neatly dressed cable people, telephone people, electric company people a few times. My phone is tapped. There are hidden cameras on those utility poles. Listening devices. And on and on. Heck, today the authorities don't even need to tap hard wire anything. The authorities can use wireless equipment and listen to everything you say and with modern infared and x-ray type gadgets see everything you do.

Your only escape is a lead lined room with some sort of flux spectrum capacitor emiting secondary sounds waves to intercept and block the waves coming into your abode.

I looked at the link and I see that the "Upgrade Advisor" is a MS program that is downloaded, installed and run on my PC. No thanks to that. Who knows what all MS would send along.

GG, you doesn't seem to be aware, that your logic in regard to the MS Upgrade Advisor is extremely flawed. You only need to run this program once and you can erase it from your PC afterwards, but you doesn't seem have to have any problem to run Windows since years, an OS which is in contact with MS's servers constantly.

If you don't trust MS - and rightly so (the same applies to Apply) - switch to Linux!

Jesus, and folk here reckon *I'm* paranoid ....

The first rule of computer security is that there is no such thing as 'security' the instant you turn that thing on and connect to the Net. If Big Brother wants you, sooner or later he will get you, and Big Brother works for the major corporations of this world.

Rather than wasting your time getting opinions, if you have the Windows 7 software, just install it and see. Windows 7 has to be the easiest OS install I have ever seen (even ultimate), you basically answer a couple of questions at the beginning and let it rip and you are up in about 20 minutes. If you have a legitimate copy, I would wait to activate until you are sure you want it, if your copy is not legitimate, using something like the DAZ Loader (available anywhere on the net) and activate it with that software, throw some free antivirus like Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, etc. on it and you are ready to go. With only 2 gig, you don't need 64 bit, so you can install 32 bit, which if you are migrating older programs would give you a better chance at total compatibility. However, remember that there are new programs that run only on 64 bit (CS5 Premiere and After Effects to name a couple).

There might be a couple of specific driver issues with your computer, but usually you can get around them with Microsoft generic drivers. Good luck.

Archived