Job Offer In Bangkok

It finally came...when I am not sure if I want it any more.

3 years ago, before my family came to Japan, I would be on the next available flight to BKK.

Now, when life is in full in Japan and many things to leave, feeling I am betraying the guy (a director, Singapore based, formerly same job as mine, we know each other well) that he finally came up fit the job I have been asking him for years.

Field Engineering manager for Thailand, same company. As a local hire, the money range is 40-80K US$, I think I would get the top + some perks but not an expat package. It would cover both hardware and software + escalation management. Far less money than in Japan but own home and life genrally cheaper, a (self drive) car comes with the job. No Thai language requirement (the director talks English only wiuth current Thai staff). The location is near US Embassy, on the Wireless Rd. Many times I worked from there for my Japan things, know the staff.

Damn it, it is causing more troubles now that I am about to refuse it. What a twist.

Personally I would stay where you are, USD 80K / annum is not going to give you the opportunity for long term savings.

I worked for a MNC in Thailand for 3 years on just over USD 80K / annum plus USD 20K / annum living expenses and I still feel I wasted 3 years of good earning capacity.

Not sure of your actual position, but it sounds similar to mine, Automation / Controls System Engineer, When I worked in Madrid I was pulling in just short of USD 20K / Month for a 40 hour week [tax free I used my Swiss company], I am currently seeing offers of USD 36K for 28 day stints in Kazakhstan for 72 hour week 28 days on and 28 days off.

Currently I am in negotiation for a permanent staff position in QLD Australia where the agreed salary is USD 250K / Annum, I could sure handle that for 7 years until I hit 55 then retire back to Thailand where I still own property.

I have "Lived" in Thailand for nearly 21 years now but do most of my work in other countries where the money is, make hay whilst the sun shines, 2/3 months away then 3 weeks at home then extended leaves between projects, I have not worked for the last 7 months now just chilling out and fighting a divorce.

Obviously our situations differ, you are a family man with a young child and that plays a major part in your decision process, I have been a full blown expat for 23 years now but still have a great relationship with my 27 year old twin daughters in the UK, they realise now that daddy went to shitholes like Libya and Algeria to be able to finance them through university.

Best of luck on whatever decision you make

Kong

I worked for a MNC in Thailand for 3 years on just over USD 80K / annum plus USD 20K / annum living expenses and I still feel I wasted 3 years of good earning capacity.

That would be enough.

Furthermore, 25,000$ for international school (it is even more expensive than in Japan) would be a far bigger part of the earnings than what it now is.

Will give it a miss.

If I were after girls and golf, yes, but now it would just be a downgrade in lifestyle, environment and earnings.

I would work in BKK even more hours than in Japan as most of the office (50 ppl) would start leaning on me (just spoke to a colleague, a Thai national, from our BKK office, he rejected that job 1 year ago for exactly that reason - all responsibility on him, 16 hours days).

Hi,

"you can delegate very easy everything to your thai staff."

Hahahahahahahaha, have you actually tried that :)

I used to have 3 PHP programmers working for me, but I am much more productive now that I do all the work myself rather than delegating it to them.

Seriously, almost all the Thai staff I have worked with require constant supervision and very detailed instructions, and they still manage to fuck up a lot.

Sanuk!

sure i have extensive experience in delegating to Thai people

working in a Thai company with 500 staff as a "Farang Khon Diaow"

just tell it once (or do not tell it at all and let them find out themselves, what should be their job), give them some credit and a break (most fellow expats are too tedious on their follow ups and 24/7 supervision). thai staff need some freedom!

people take responsibility with a incredible creativity and make your life interesting and adventurous; every day full of surprises, I did not need to go the gambling hall or play lottery anymore!

I realized the 4 hours work week long before the Bestseller with the same name was written and I spent 15-20 weeks per year on beaches and in whorehouses using my hardship allowance

• 2 weeks later...

That would be enough.

Furthermore, 25,000$ for international school (it is even more expensive than in Japan) would be a far bigger part of the earnings than what it now is.

Will give it a miss.

If I were after girls and golf, yes, but now it would just be a downgrade in lifestyle, environment and earnings.

I would work in BKK even more hours than in Japan as most of the office (50 ppl) would start leaning on me (just spoke to a colleague, a Thai national, from our BKK office, he rejected that job 1 year ago for exactly that reason - all responsibility on him, 16 hours days).

Would $80k pay the bills ? I'm not sure when you take tax off.

I've a child in education and I just think of it as a million baht a year if educated in Thailand. The cost of international school doesn't stop at tuition fees. Back in the UK, fees are about 2 million a year at the higher end !

Archived