Cost Of Living In Los

pe7e

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Asian hunger for Oz raw materials, that is what propels the Oz $.

There is nothinig else in that place (Oz) that deserves any attention, other than being an English speaking country in the Asia-Pacific theater.

Oz may become as irrelevant as Argentina, one of the founders of the "Group 20 Economic Powers" 50 years ago.

Self-centric places like Thai, with all the rights they may have, know that.

An average bar girl would have no clue.

Sadly, despite numerous academics and a few of our brighter (!) polies banging on about our 'banana republic' future for many years, its all forgotten as soon as someone signals that they want whatever we can rip out of the ground. Imagine the Saudis when the oil runs dry, although I suspect many of them have their fingers in other pies worldwide - wont help the average Saudi in the street. Many people have made the parallel you drew with Argentina, and its truly scary to look at what happened to them in the 90s. We have no clue here - most Australians would consider Brazil a 'poor' country, but they let absolutely nothing stand in the way of their economic future : sadly, that includes the Amazon basin.

Not sure that being an English-speaking country in Asia will be particularly helpful unless we start thinking and working like the Singaporeans. We send endless delegations to places like Taiwan and South Korea but I havent seen any indication that its bearing fruit in terms of innovation or building anything longterm - happy to hear otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

By the bonker or the bonkee?

a very sweet regular of mine had money and would give me 20Bt each morning with a smile even though i gave her no money.

but she knew full well i would pay in full the last time i saw her for our nights together,but i kept the 20 Bt she gave me each day..... :elephant:

Archived