Jump to content



Recommended Posts

I was reading that story as well in the news today. It's doing the rounds on the Thai message boards and took place 3 days ago on the 8th. Apparently the 33 year-old security guard's ear drum, was punctured. The man responsible for the assault is 55 year-old Mr Sombat Chatchaiwaiwit, Chief of Passenger Services at Suwannapum Airport. Presumably a case of, 'Don't you know who I am?!'



Customs official transferred over assault aired on YouTube

The Nation January 11, 2012 3:06 pm

Customs official transferred over assault aired on YouTube

The Customs Department on Wednesday transferred back to headquarters a senior official based at Suvarnabhumi Airport who allegedly assaulted an airport security officer while refusing to be patted down.

Director General Somchai Poonsawat said the C-7 official, who was identified only as Sombat, will face an investigation into the incident, which occurred on January at in the airport. The investigation will take about 30 days.

Footage from a surveillance camera of the alleged assault, which has appeared on YouTube, shows the official walking through a security check. However, he refuses to be patted down after a security alarm beeps.

In the footage, the official is showing whacking the officer's ears with both hands. The official then points to his badge and the junior officer bows apologetically.

The video was posted on YouTube on Monday and by Tuesday it had attracted many thousands of angry comments.

Somchai said the official in trouble was a chief of passenger services at the airport responsible for crackdowns on contraband and narcotics.

After the incident, the junior officer saw a doctor, who diagnosed injuries to the eardrum. He also filed a complaint with the police.



Police summon C7 custom official for assaulting airport staff

January 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Police Wednesday issued a summons for a C7 customs official at the centre of a widely circulated video clip showing him in the act of assaulting an airport securitycheck officer while refusing to be patted down.

Suvarnabhumi Airport superintendent Colonel Nattanan Nanasombat said Sombat Chatchaiyawit, 55, had seven days to respond to the summons.

"If he does not report to police, we will issue an arrest warrant," Nattanan said.


Chief of Passenger Services at Suwannapum Airport, 55 year-old Mr Sombat Chatchaiwaiwit นายสมบัติ ชาติไชยไววิทย์ (white gloves, on left)



Loxley ICS Consortium Security Guard, 33 year-old Mr Sirichai Maichum นายศิริชัย ใหม่ชุ่ม meeting inquiry officials with his lawyer, work colleagues and mother on 11/01/12.




Link to comment
Share on other sites

reminds me of the Thai Hi So I worked for more than a decade ago. That's how she treated her staff.

She never dared to assault me as she thought I would hit back!


PS: KS, I agree; but there are actually many in Thailand, who act like that. Talk with maids and drivers how they get treated by their Thai Hi So boss! This guy will only be stopped because he got caught on tape

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's one thing it's goes on in their 'private entourage' it's a complete different story if we're talking about public places, especially high security areas like airports.


What if he carries a gun or c4? What if his cronies come off the plane, potentially loaded with all kinds of contraband?


If he didn't wanted to be patted down in his capacity, he should've taken a different route, the entry for staff and plane crews is not far away and has less strict requirements.


A complete dumbass who should be kicked out of his duties. Phat chance that ever happening though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 C-7 is hardly enough rank to be throwing one's weight around, though I presume the man he struck must be considerably lower. Most university graduate civil servants retire as a C-7, and teachers in public school reach it rather quickly. This guy is a rather minor official, which is maybe why he is so full of himself. Think of him as about the level of an army captain, no more.








Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guard distraught after assault


An airport security officer allegedly assaulted by a high-ranking customs officer at Suvarnabhumi airport is worried about his safety and career.

Sirichai Maichum, 32, who suffered an ear injury in the assault, said the attack shocked him and made him wonder whether he can carry on working at the airport.


He said he did not know the man who attacked him, and was surprised to have been treated in such a hostile manner.


The customs officer accused of assaulting Mr Sirichai, identified as chief of passenger inspection at Suvarnabhumi airport Sombat Chartchaiwaiyawit, has been transferred from his post pending an investigation.


A video clip of the incident, uploaded on YouTube, prompted Mr Sombat's transfer.


The clip contains footage from a surveillance camera that shows a man smacking the ears of a security officer at the airport after he was stopped for a body pat-down during a security check process.


Mr Sirichai said his team was told that a VIP group from the Customs Department would pass through security that day. The incident occurred at 1pm on Sunday.


Mr Sirichai said there are two channels for security checks - one for ordinary passengers and the other one for cabin crew and staff with authorisation.


Mr Sombat came through the ordinary passenger channel with his VIP group but he refused to submit to a body pat-down, Mr Sirichai said.


"He shouted very loudly: "You have no right to check me' and showed me his customs officer's card," Mr Sirichai said.


"I felt scared. I said I was sorry and moved backwards but he walked towards me and thumped my ears until a woman in the VIP group told him to stop."


Reports said Mr Sombat also remonstrated with Mr Sirichai. He asked him why he was being subjected to the checks when he passed the checkpoint so frequently.


Mr Sirichai has lodged a complaint with police.


Superintendent of Suvarnabhumi airport police station Nathanant Nanasombat said Mr Sombat had been summoned for questioning.


Lat Krabang hospital doctors checked Mr Sirichai's condition and said his left eardrum was ruptured. He also has earache and experiences ringing in his right ear.


Mr Sirichai said he did not know who uploaded the footage to YouTube. His supervisor, who was also at the scene, has filed a report with police and Airports of Thailand.


"I feel staggered by what happened," Mr Sirichai said.


"I am as polite as possible to passengers. During my five years working here, I have come across other VIPs who refuse to have a body scan. I have never tried to stop them going through.


"I feel uncomfortable this has turned into such a big incident. I don't know what to do, and am not sure whether I can continue to work at the airport," he said.


Mr Sirichai said his supervisor had told him that the customs officer had made contact, asking if he could negotiate.


Karn Thongyai, managing director of Asia Security Management - the company contracted to provide security at Suvarnabhumi airport - praised Mr Sirichai for his ability to keep his cool under duress.


"I hope this incident makes people realise the risks which security officers face in doing their duty for the safety of passengers," Mr Karn said.


Mr Sirichai is taking a 15-day break. Pol Col Nathanant said Mr Sombat has informed him he is prepared to meet investigators.


Pol Col Nathanant said Mr Sombat must report to the police by Jan 18 so he can be informed about any charges to be laid against him.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...