Certainly Not The Best

sayjann

slept late and awoke feeling quite poorly.

i know i had been stressed about my luggage and the failing to see my gal and wondered wether i had just become ill because of it?.

yes i like a drink and had normally had a skinful during the day but i did calm down at night and was sensible in my intake,but the alcohol was probably a factor as well.

drifted down to the hotels reception and greeted by a lovely lady who became a great friend and she smiled and greeted me calling my name and asked if i wanted coffee?....of course i did.

the hotel was basic and i could only get a hot drink in reception and i was charged 50bt for each one...a bit of a scam.

but it was always bought to my table with milk and sugar added and the sugar stirred in,i liked the service.

shot the breeze for a couple of hours with fellow guesta before venturing out for a walk into town.

opposite the hotel was a motorbike taxi rank and i used them a lot but today i just waved and smiled as the fellas shouted across the road at me.

often i would interrupt their meal time and they would say 'no problem' and want to take me for a fare.

but i would always say no and sit down and tell them to finish their meal,another 5 minutes did'nt make a lot of difference to me.

they would get me a cold coke and i would just wait for them,they were good guys.

took a slow walk along the busy road towards the centre of town thinking a brisk walk might help my head,but i was still suffering when i got to my day-time bar.

i was unsociable today and bought a paper and read it while having a coca-cola.

the girls in the bar wondered what was up and i just said i felt a little poorly and soon one of them went off and got me some painkillers and i was forced to take them.

no games today and no beers redeemed from the stock i had and after i asked about i could get a good shave i was directed to a small place on soi sansabai.

i knew this place well as it used to be a small soi and had a great place to stay in the past.

i used stay at a small complex of bungalows from 2000-2005 and sadly no longer there due to the huge urban re-building of the area after that.

the soi was always a quiet place but now full of bars and certainly not the same.

found the salon and had a fairly good cut-throat shave and upper body massage from an older lady.

back to my bar after aimlessly walking around the tacky souvener shops around the area,not that i wanted anything.

feeling worse now and just decided to go back to the hotel and have a nap.

it was now christmas eve and i had no idea of what to do so started off in my friends bar and again not really in the mood.

my ex-gal still not working and i decided to give up on her and go elsewhere.

of course i ended up on bangla rd and while looking for a room-mate for the night i decided i just wanted sleep,i really was feeling poorly.

and i was just not in the mood for ladies accosting me and quoting silly prices for what i did not want.

The lady who cuts my hair in LA is Thai, immigrated in the 80s. I like her a lot, we've built up a rapport over the past few years.

Trip in 2010 she asked me to carry some small gifts for her brother and nieces. Met her family in Nonthaburi, her brother had worked in a factory and quit - and made his living doing sculpture, some for the temples. Good experience.

So he turned 60 and this last time around she asked me to carry over an expensive watch to give to him. I felt a little uneasy with something that valuable - I'm absent-minded at times didn't want that burden of responsibility, but her family has been good to me so I said 'sure.'

She told me to just wear it during the flight, but I was worried about damaging/scratching it, so I wrapped it and stuck in my checked luggage.

Yeah, when I got to swampy everything was quick and smooth till I went to retrieve my bag. Waited an hour at the carousel and nada. It wasn't there. My heart dropped, spoke with one of the security and he said it had all been unloaded for the flight, I had to walk down and file a missing bag report with the Thai airways office (though I flew Cathay Pacific).

At this point I'm exhausted and stressed and had to hike down to the other friggin end of the airport. I just started getting this feeling of dread - why o why did I put it in my checked bag. To tell the truth I was almost nauseous, just didn't want to lose this guys gift. I was also carrying some small stuff over for my own friend in BKK, and some games for a BM here. Just not fucking happy to have all that gone.

So I'm down there filling out my claim and the lady at the counter gets a call from the security guy, they made a mistake, another cartload of luggage had arrived. So then I walked back down - and there it was. My bag. Doing rounds on the carousel. It was a beautiful thing. The trip went from horrible to wonderful in the space of a moment.

So I empathize a little with how things like losing your luggage can impact you, and turn things sour and ratchet up the stress. Sorry to hear your trip wasn't the best. Here's to hoping the Gods smile on you next time around.

:beer:

Thanks for posting the reports, embarrassed to say I've never been to Phuket. It seems like all the dirt these days making headlines is coming from there (jet ski scams, tuk tuk mafia, murders, retarded MMA fighters trying to kill each other and anyone who looks at them cross-eyed, etc.).

the problem with my luggage was done in typical thai style...but that's a story for another day.

could have had a worse story when i flew home via shanghai and that was due to luck more than anything i found my luggage,but again that is for another time.

i always carry cameras/videos and all that goes with them(and anything that i deem valuable)in my carry-on so nothing of importance missing.

only clothes and a few small christmas gifts in my suitcase so while not a major problem it was just annoying that i could get no info about what was going on.

but just a pain having to buy clothes daily to get me through,first time i will have gone home with more clothes than i started with.

i've been going to phuket for almost 12 years now and i don't reslly have any problems with the scams.

don't use taxi's and to my shame in all my visits i have never swam in the andaman sea,merely paddled and would'nt know one end of a jet-ski to the other.

girls u don't want to talk to are easily avoided as are the shops silly crap stuff.

these days i never see any problems between locals and tourists,but not to say it does,nt happen.

but i keep to my regular bars and hang out with long-time friends.

the only kind of trouble i normally see are berween drunk tourists.... :shakehead

i'm used to the place and can usually avoid any kind of trouble.

luckily i have many friends who will give me a lift somewhere on their motobike in return for a drink and i have no problem with that.

Archived