Is Nairobi Worth A Visit?

radioman

Okay so I know it's not exactly 'regional' and the title recalls a somewhat epic thread of the past, but I have a chance to go.

Should I really be calling it 'a chance'?

Anyway, I've seen it on Nat Geo and Animal Planet and it looks kinda neat. Anyone been? Will be working in Nairobi but guess I can get away for a couple of days.

May take company since Thai's can get visa on arrival it seems.

Ideas?

• 2 months later...

Nairobi is really not special at all, on its own. Just a big African city with some restaurants, traffic, and crime. But... if you're there or in the region for a bit of work, you should definitely take advantage of the chance to do the safari thing, unless you see lots of giraffe and wildebeest and so on where you live or work normally (in which case, I figure you'd already know how Nairobi is anyway). You can get plenty of safari and relaxation at a little lodge in three days, even two with a little transportation. You're not going to be the Great White Explorer - or at least not the only one - but despite the well-worn nature of the tracks through the parks, it's worth it at least once. Mombasa has a kind of different flavor, a little more diverse, coastal, southern feel -- but if you live in Thailand, you've got enough of that anyway.

Kenya for the animals, that's about it.

YimSiam

Archived