Trip To Bathroom 2200 27/01/55

Mekong

Does it not occur to you that I may not have a daily routine.

Does it not occur to you that my evidence is against the whole family and the court is aware of the fact, who is going to make who's life hell?

"Living in Britain is an option", how on earth you come to the conclusion? When I was working and living in Spain in 2010 I flew to the UK on many occasions to see my family one of them my nieces wedding so you have got that wrong.

I choose not to live in UK for a couple of reasons

a ) High rate of tax wasted on immigrants and benefit claimants, don't get me started on family allowance, even if working overseas and still registered as UK Resident why the feck should I hand over 50% of my hard earned to support a bunch of parasites.

b ) In my Industry most work is in Middle East, SE Asia and Australasia, Bangkok is a convenient hub for these regions

But it does not seem to occur to you that your lifestyle choice is not of interest for others, otherwise you wouldn't have given such an arrogant answer before.

... as opposed to your "Perfect Life" of posting on a Thai forum and maybe getting 2 weeks a year here if lucky.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it not occur to you that I may not have a daily routine.

Does it not occur to you that my evidence is against the whole family and the court is aware of the fact, who is going to make who's life hell?

"Living in Britain is an option", how on earth you come to the conclusion? When I was working and living in Spain in 2010 I flew to the UK on many occasions to see my family one of them my nieces wedding so you have got that wrong.

I choose not to live in UK for a couple of reasons

a ) High rate of tax wasted on immigrants and benefit claimants, don't get me started on family allowance, even if working overseas and still registered as UK Resident why the feck should I hand over 50% of my hard earned to support a bunch of parasites.

b ) In my Industry most work is in Middle East, SE Asia and Australasia, Bangkok is a convenient hub for these regions

Mekong, for someone that readily criticises others for not knowing Thai mentality, you overlook what a thai will do when they lose face. Why would you want to rub your ex's family's collective face in the mud? You may very well win your court case but lose the proverbial "war." Its their country and, as you have pointed out, its who you know in LOS that matters and not what you know. As you are planning on living in LOS as a base for the long run, I hope that you plan on watching your back all the time. I never implied that you couldn't live in Britain but, for your own reasons, refuse to do so. Your reasons make since, as your career is your main concern (as stated in many, many posts).

Let me jump in here a bit into this little squabble. Though I don’t know Mekong personally, I know of him professionally and we have a couple of acquaintance in common, both due to being in the same industry working in the same part of the world. Our fields are much different, with me being more a finance sort of person and Mekong being at the top of the technical side. But, he indeed everything he claims to be.

Within the industry, discussions on salary and such, though done at summary levels without getting into details is very common and it how people know what to negotiate towards with new jobs. Sort of an informal union so to speak. His mistake is thinking you all understand that when he talks about his income. I find it very informative and see no reason for Mekong to either apologize for it or even stop doing. He has risen to the top of field due to his performance and it good to see what the reward for that is.

Mekong field of expertise is populated with the smartest people in the industry. You have to be in order to understand the extremely complicated processes and the control systems that make it all work. These people can often come across as arrogant but in my experience it actually more a case of not suffering fools gladly. His experience in Thailand (and Asia in general) and the people he interacts with are so much different than the majority here it makes it difficult for them to understand where he is coming from.

His perceived disdain towards the musings of people’s whose knowledge of Thailand is confined to yearly 2 week trips or living on the economy (so to speak) is well understandable from his perspective. Again, not suffering fools gladly. In person, it would not come across so harsh, but the condescension towards such people is there. I have been accused of the same thing.

The poster in this thread going on and on about worrying about his ex’s family coming after him in some sort of violent fashion is typical. This is not some low class dysfunctional Issan family that resorts to violence at the slightest provocation. This is a middle class, well connected family that will use whatever connections they have to make a problem go away (which they have already unsuccessfully tried).

At this point their reaction is going to be to just get it over with the minimum of fuss and his ex’s lack of response so far shows that. At some point, a deal is going to be made that will get Mekong his financial demands, but he will have to let go of the revenge he is looking for. That is the middle class Thai way, not the reaction that is so often portrayed by Stick and believed by so many.

TH

I suspect Mekong's problem is more to do with his attitude towards anyone who disagrees with him on any subject.

It's also possible that criticism of his discussing his income is also more about old enemies rattling his cage than anything else.

Let me jump in here a bit into this little squabble. Though I don’t know Mekong personally, I know of him professionally and we have a couple of acquaintance in common, both due to being in the same industry working in the same part of the world. Our fields are much different, with me being more a finance sort of person and Mekong being at the top of the technical side. But, he indeed everything he claims to be.

Within the industry, discussions on salary and such, though done at summary levels without getting into details is very common and it how people know what to negotiate towards with new jobs. Sort of an informal union so to speak. His mistake is thinking you all understand that when he talks about his income. I find it very informative and see no reason for Mekong to either apologize for it or even stop doing. He has risen to the top of field due to his performance and it good to see what the reward for that is.

Mekong field of expertise is populated with the smartest people in the industry. You have to be in order to understand the extremely complicated processes and the control systems that make it all work. These people can often come across as arrogant but in my experience it actually more a case of not suffering fools gladly. His experience in Thailand (and Asia in general) and the people he interacts with are so much different than the majority here it makes it difficult for them to understand where he is coming from.

His perceived disdain towards the musings of people’s whose knowledge of Thailand is confined to yearly 2 week trips or living on the economy (so to speak) is well understandable from his perspective. Again, not suffering fools gladly. In person, it would not come across so harsh, but the condescension towards such people is there. I have been accused of the same thing.

The poster in this thread going on and on about worrying about his ex’s family coming after him in some sort of violent fashion is typical. This is not some low class dysfunctional Issan family that resorts to violence at the slightest provocation. This is a middle class, well connected family that will use whatever connections they have to make a problem go away (which they have already unsuccessfully tried).

At this point their reaction is going to be to just get it over with the minimum of fuss and his ex’s lack of response so far shows that. At some point, a deal is going to be made that will get Mekong his financial demands, but he will have to let go of the revenge he is looking for. That is the middle class Thai way, not the reaction that is so often portrayed by Stick and believed by so many.

TH

I don't think that I ever said that his ex's family would react violently. They would have Mekong followed to get as much information about him as they could get. As he said, one of the scenarios would be to plant drugs in his apartment and have the police find them, but that is only one scenario. I do think that they would use their connections to make Mekong's life miserable. TH, the instances that you know about higher thai society is thai against thai, not thai against farang. There is a difference. Concerning Mekong's professional status, I'll take you at your word about it. From what I can see, that is all he has. By his own admission, he has a drinking problem (I hope that he conquers it, as it seems that he is doing), his health isn't the best (again, he seems to have seen the warning signs and is taking preventative measures) and he has had at least 3 marriages. He has kids that he has barely seen in 20-30 years (but he did take financial responsibility for them, which is more than a lot of fathers). Like MM said, I wouldn't trade my life for his in a thousand years. But that is just me. And this is my last comment on the subject.

• 1 month later...

best trip report in this forum so far, by the way!

Definitely the best report in the Trip Reports section for...oh, I don't know, the last several fucking months!!! Seriously!!

I'll try to whack something together over the next few weeks... hopefully I can convey the dramas, the excitement, the buzz and emotions.. The past few weeks (1st time back in 7 years) have been an adventure, this place sure does get under your skin...

looking forward to read it. cheerleader.gif

Archived