Newbie in Bangkok: Part 1

Aw - thanks everyone for the kind comments. It's great to be with kindred spirits. Really it is. I've been a mess since I got back 'home'. I've all sorts of crazy plans running around in my head. I meant it when I intimated that this was a life changing experience. Things have changed, For the better!

I shall be (not maybe or perhaps) - I shall be back in Bangkok in 8 months time. That's Christmas. I've never been a fan of Christmas since I was about 10 years old but I think that all that has just changed!

I had also come straight from Nepal - a country I love, although for different reasons than Thailand although there are similarities with the friendliness of the people - and the place is suffering with all sorts of political shenannigins (Maoist insurgency is just one of their problems). A 5 day strike and an enforced stay in Thamel had me fleeing to Bangkok which was not just a different city or country but a different planet.

My postings are an indulgence on my part. It's like therapy. I have to tell somebody - but who can I tell? How do you describe the feeling of the place unless you've been there. I don't want to just reduce it to 'and this girl did this' and ' I did that'. It's only on this board that I find the people who could ever understand that it is just not that simple.

On the sanuk side of things - I thought that the last word in fun was to be found in Amsterdam. There is no parallel at all with Amsterdam. None whatsoever. And I think that that is what I found confusing. Perhaps I was expecting an Asian Amsterdam. Well, if so, I was way off-beam.

I haven't posted the highlights yet by the way! I got educated pretty darn quick on my too short visit and was fortunate to meet with experienced folk like yourselves who I count as real friends. I owe them. Boy, do I owe them!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi carew65,

Top report...I know how you feel about being a mess when you get home. I also like Amsterdam but agree that Thailand is whole different ballgame.

I'm just about to head to bed with a copy of your trip report two that I'm really looking forward to.

Have a great weekend!

>My postings are an indulgence on my part. It's like therapy. I have to tell somebody - but who can I tell? How do you describe the feeling of the place unless you've been there. I don't want to just reduce it to 'and this girl did this' and ' I did that'. It's only on this board that I find the people who could ever understand that it is just not that simple.<

Yes!

I've spent a fair amount of time writing on this board, especially in trip reports and it was mainly because I had to tell somebody. The weird and wonderful experiences of LOS were so powerful I couldn't keep it to myself, and no one in my own country could have understood. A bit like going to confession, or talking to your therapist.

"...Thailand is not just a country, it's a place inside of you that you may ignore at your own risks,if you wish. But when you discover it, something deep inside you comes to the surface finally and it's like going back home..."

I want to go home!!! [to the Kingdom]

Bangkok for the first time is like a large candy store open for business.

For this American Irish Catholic it was a " flash"

Spent one weekend and then needed to stop back in Phuket for 5 days before returning home to the states.

Rusty,

I never thought I'd agree with ol' Lily but that is a spot-on observation. I wish now that I had watched that series on TV. How was I to know that I would end up in Bangkok - purely by accident of course (tongue firmly in cheek).

"...asked her how much money I should give her (clumsily and awkwardly I know ? I refined this part of the deal in later encounters) and gave her 2000 baht. Yes, yes, I know, I know, I know..."

If that's the most expensive trip you made on your first trip, consider it a cheap lesson in Thai economics! My first time over I ended up throwing away a lot more than that; it's just a part of the learning process.

Looking forward to the next report.

• 8 years later...

Archived