Jeans I Need To Invent ...

gobbledonk

We all remember the old 'fob' pocket, and I think Levi's still have them, but its not quite enough for my purposes. I would like a small, *zippered* pocket, deep in each front pocket of my jeans. It only has to be big enough to keep around 10k baht, but the only time that money would come out would be when I needed to replenish my 'main' wallet. Said wallet would be augmented by a dummy wallet, which would contain no more than 300 baht at any given time, and this is the wallet that I would wave around in front of the general public. Add a few hundred baht in a shirt pocket and it should keep pickpockets guessing.

Short of a tiny spider that only bites ladyboys and other pickpockets, I cant think of a better invention for added peace of mind when I'm out and about. Sure, I guess I could keep money in a charger stuck up my derriere, but for those of us who find that unappealing on so many levels, the 'inside zipper' looks like a winner for mine.

Gobble, always happy to help

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gobble, how many times have you actually been pickpocketed?

Once, in Southern China, but if I hadn't had a local lady friend I would have been totally screwed. Had a card with the address of my hotel on it, but no money for a taxi and most of the locals had no English anyway. Once is enough to make you ultra-paranoid, but a lot of that slides when you get drunk. Having the bulk of my cash zipped away from anything beyond my own bumbling fingers would be give me great comfort. I know - there is always some extremely skilful pickpocket out there who could get past any of my feeble defenses, but its the 99% who aren't that good who worry me ....

Jeans

Jeans have a hidden zip security pocket inside one of the back pockets. Cotton-poly-Lycra blend. Machine wash. Imported.

deal.gif

Thanks for that, baa - they actually look OK in the photo. My fear was that any jeans which already had this feature would look like the fashion equivalent of a money belt (a device I also employ when wearing shorts, Munchy) ....

Of course, if I were fatter, I could keep my money under my overhanging gut, but I havent quite reached that stage yet - still the prospect of some enterprising thief reaching under my shirt and taking my money belt. Best to use that, along with my dummy wallet, as a decoy. Man, I should do this kind of thing for a living. :stirthepo

Once, in Southern China, but if I hadn't had a local lady friend I would have been totally screwed. Had a card with the address of my hotel on it, but no money for a taxi and most of the locals had no English anyway. Once is enough to make you ultra-paranoid, but a lot of that slides when you get drunk. Having the bulk of my cash zipped away from anything beyond my own bumbling fingers would be give me great comfort. I know - there is always some extremely skilful pickpocket out there who could get past any of my feeble defenses, but its the 99% who aren't that good who worry me ....

the main reason i carry very little in my pockets.

i carry no phone/wallet/ATM card and all my cash is normally just pushed into a pocket with no idea of how much i have left.

but as i normally have a regular lady,they carry my ATM card and any large amounts of cash.

all i normally have in my pockets is a small amount of baht and my cigarettes.

because i am known known in my regular bars there is no need to pay on the night.

if i have insufficent cash they know i will pay the next day.

if going on on the town i see no point in attracting attention to myself.

the locals soon know is drunk and who to target.

the main reason i carry very little in my pockets.

i carry no phone/wallet/ATM card and all my cash is normally just pushed into a pocket with no idea of how much i have left.

but as i normally have a regular lady,they carry my ATM card and any large amounts of cash.

all i normally have in my pockets is a small amount of baht and my cigarettes.

because i am known known in my regular bars there is no need to pay on the night.

if i have insufficent cash they know i will pay the next day.

if going on on the town i see no point in attracting attention to myself.

the locals soon know is drunk and who to target.

Its only been on the last few trips that I've noted just how well one of my regulars protects her handbag, even when wai'ing. That said, I dont envy women having to carry such an obvious target around - another girl I knew used to carry everything, including her phone, in a tiny purse that was somehow jammed into skintight shorts : the bloody thing was like the Tardis, and seemed to contain all manner of currency :o

Archived