Grave Fears For Qantas/jetstar

gobbledonk

It is the consumer ( us ) pushing prices down , the suppliers just try to follow . They have no benefit from lowering wages , the results are just lower prices and mostly even lower revenues .

It is funny how people always seem to think " They " somewhere make all the trouble . Unidentified supranatural forces . Like now in Greece people are on the raod protesting against their government . It was the the government(s) offering one befit after the other to please the average citizen who now refuses to pay the bill .

Another excellent statement from boardmember BuBi , Europe`s leading economic authority .

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a near the beach city house in Adelaide for $24K in 1980 and paid it off in 5 years while raising kids. Granted it needed a little work but it was on a 1/4 acre block.

My ex sold it for $600K in 2005.

You can imagine my dismay when I moved from Cronulla to Grange in the mid-80s. Adelaide's 'beaches' must have made the newly-arrived Poms feel right at home in the 50s and 60s, although it wasn't all bad - one of those boats carried Jimmy Barnes and the brothers Young. Someone told me Elizabeth has become quite 'trendy', but I really struggle to imagine that.

Adelaide is also the only city I know of which consigned its single mothers to beachside property, albeit at its far southern reaches. Christie's was a forlorn sight in the 80s - it can only have gone up in the ~30 years since. I do miss Hindley St, and all those Italians - interesting times.

Eastern Hindley Street is pretty much in the clutches of the bikies now and the West End is a University preserve, there's not a lot of decent restaurants left there.

Elizabeth is as untrendy as ever.

Attempts to trendy up Port Adelaide continue to fail.

Generally I find eating out in pubs the best bet, a decent steak can still be had for under $25.

Adelaide wasn't bad when I moved there in the 70s but the 80s was definitely the pits.

Fortunately I missed most of them making money for my ex-wife.

Why didn't tariffs work?

Why have people been brainwashed to believe protectionism is a bad thing?

The corporate media absolutely froths at the mouth at any suggestion of it which makes me think it can't be all that bad.

Good question and points with which I agree.

Prior to "harmonization" of tariffs and various treaties, the U.S. had protective tariffs in place. They served the country well, in that they protected U.S. manufacturers and manufacturing jobs; and, at the same time, provided a good source of income to the Federal Treasury. (In fact, import tariffs, for many decades, was the largest source of revenue for the U.S. Government.)

HH

I just can't see it, the heathen nations could keep the junk items manufacturing that have long been their forte anyway and the Western nations have the heavy industry that has been theirs.

Australia ships all it's iron ore to China who makes the steel and sells it back to us. :confused:

"Whenever Qantas Group airlines use foreign crew and Australian crew on the same flights, Australian crew operate under Australian wages and conditions and foreign-based crews on the terms and conditions of their domicile country where they are employed and where they live,'' he said.

"This is standard practice adopted by airlines all over the world.''

why should there still be any discussion about that! many airlines like United are doing this for years. On the other side I have seen western pilots on Air China, China Eastern and Asiana

Fair point, HT- no-one runs screaming into the aisles if the pilot on their AirAsia flight is Caucasian ...

Its an open secret that the Australian taxpayer has been training pilots for QANTAS and other airlines for years, courtesy of the RAAF, and I'm sure the same thing happens in the US and Britain : they cant all be working for their national airline. I don't know what Cathay or Singapore Airlines pay, but I expect that its competitive.

Archived